Hot-Rodded ST-70 Kit (Tubes4Hifi)

knowledge base for the classic Dynaco ST70

Postby Sal Brisindi » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:38 am

Thanks for the kind works Bryan, even though I reversed the left and right channels on your PAS blend switch... :-). You did an unbelievable job on your PAS preamp.

Regards,
Sal

PS: Your Pete Millett Engineer's Amplifier looks absolutely stunning too!
Sal Brisindi
KT88

Postby highflyin9 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:20 am

No worries Sal, it was a 5 second fix. Thanks for your compliments :)
My DIY Electronics Blog: DIYAudioBlog.com
highflyin9

Postby fiftyfivefilms » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:45 am

6bg6ga wrote:quote:
I still have to disagree with 6bg6ga about the tube rolling, while subtle it exists, there is a reason some tubes cost a fortune and others cost a lot less…same with cars, a Chevy Vega has 4 wheels so does a BMW…But I can’t tell you the difference, I drive a Volvo.

Well, I have a supercharged Z-28 Camaro. Who gives a sh**?

My build may be superior to others in respect to the quality of parts used and this may have a bearing to the outcome/performance of the board and whether I heard a distinct difference in tube rolling. Quality parts and quality build in my opinion do have an effect. I have experienced tube rolling difference when cheaper parts were used in different circuits. Everything from the line stage, amp, and speakers must be figured into the equation. My system consists of an Aikido 6SN7/6SN7 circuit that used the Russian 1578 tubes that currently retail at $200 a pair. Thats $400 in tubes in the Aikido.

Like I mentioned before MY Dynamutt has used premium Red October 5692's and 5691 and I could tell no difference between them and run of the mill set of 6SN7's and 6SL7's but maybe this is due to the quatily of the parts I used and the design of the board. Its easy to trick your self into thinking that a $100 tube sounds better than a $20 tube. More money makes it better right?

Quote:
6bg6ga, I'm curious about your Maple Tree? I still have a third Stereo 70 to rebuild and want to try a different board but $260 seems a bit high? did you think it was worth it?

I built three hand made mapletree board clones after purchasing the original board from Lloyd and put them on all the 70's I had here at the time. This was before I purchased the Dynamutt. I consider the Dynamutt to be superior to everything on the market and the Mapletree to come in a close second. By the way I could hear a difference when tube rolling with this driver board. I experimented with different parts on the three boards that I built. I could still hear a slight difference but I attribute this to the circuit.

Hi, you've got my curiosity up about building my own "Maple Tree clone board..I've got a copy of the schematic , but could you post some pics of the layout you used? This would be my first from scratch board build and that would be a great help...
Cheers,
Kirk
fiftyfivefilms

Postby burnedfingers » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:21 pm

Send me an email and I'll send you some pictures.
burnedfingers
KT88

Previous

Return to st70