Klipsch Heresy + ST-70

knowledge base for the classic Dynaco ST70

Klipsch Heresy + ST-70

Postby antiquekid3 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:15 pm

Hey guys,

I didn't know if this should go in the loudspeaker section or the ST-70 section. I just got a pair of Heresy speakers (HD-BR), and despite needing some TLC, they seem to be in good shape. One tweeter is blown and one woofer needs reconing. However, my questions regards impedance. When I get these working again, should I connect these speakers to the 4 or 8Ω tap?

Thanks!

Kyle
antiquekid3

Re: Klipsch Heresy + ST-70

Postby Ty_Bower » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:48 pm

antiquekid3 wrote:should I connect these speakers to the 4 or 8Ω tap?

Try both (not at the same time, of course). See which one you like better.

Make sure you've got no signal playing while the speakers are disconnected. Better yet, switch the amp off before changing speaker taps. Also, never never never turn the amp on while the tubes are hot. You'll probably destroy the rectifier that way.
"It's a different experience; the noise occlusion, crisp, clear sound, and defined powerful bass. Strong bass does not corrupt the higher frequencies, giving a very different overall feel of the sound, one that is, in my opinion, quite unique."
Ty_Bower
KT88

Postby nyazzip » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:35 pm

Also, never never never turn the amp on while the tubes are hot. You'll probably destroy the rectifier that way.

ha ha i do this all the time...well once in awhile anyway. can this apply to silicon rectification as well? also would it be worse if signal was present or not present at the time of hot-tube-fireup? thinking about it, i suppose maybe the OPT might be at risk as well?
you guys are making me neurotic; a lot can be said for blissful ignorance
<i>the poor craftsman blames his tools</i>
nyazzip
KT88

Return to st70