A470 Woes...

knowledge base for the classic Dynaco ST70

A470 Woes...

Postby antiquekid3 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:42 pm

Well, I've made lots and LOTS of progress on my amp. In fact, it's nearly done! I made my driver board yesterday, all P-to-P wired, of course. I just etched my PSU PC board tonight and will drill it soon. Really, it's all downhill from here!

However, I was doing some routine ohmmeter tests, and found that not one, but BOTH of my output transformers are shot!! The blue wire to any other wire shows no continuity whatsoever on one transformer, and wiggling it on the other shows an intermittent connection. After opening the latter up, I found a nice small carbon spot...! Luckily, my power transformer appears okay.

I have a friend who might have either some extras or some he could sell me, but I'm not sure yet. I really just need the transformer itself (no end bells), as I had my end bells powder coated, and they look really nice!

If my friend can't get me some, does anyone have any used ones here they could sell at a reasonable price?

Thanks!!

Kyle
antiquekid3

Postby battradio » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:05 pm

These antek toroids would work and not break the bank .
http://cgi.ebay.com/35W-Audio-Toroidal- ... 563205baef .
or these edcors http://www.edcorusa.com/Products/ShowPr ... spx?ID=487 .
Mark
battradio
KT88

Postby antiquekid3 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:29 pm

Well, I REALLY REALLY don't want to drill into my new chassis! However, if I do end up building my own ST-70 from scratch, those look like good choices. Especially the toroids. Inexpensive, and seemingly good frequency response. They also don't look half bad.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Kyle
antiquekid3

Return to st70