Triode Kit...dead channel

knowledge base for the classic Dynaco ST70

Triode Kit...dead channel

Postby kingmatt » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:51 pm

New guy to this forum...have been lurking for a while researching, finally bit the bullet and bought a DIY kit.

I recently purchased a ST 70 kit from Triode with the EF86 driver board. It went together without too much trouble, and after chasing down a few bits that Triode neglected to include with my kit (a few nuts and bolts and a fuse), I got the nerve to fire it up.

Initially, I was able to set the bias pretty close to 1.00V, but when I pulled the meter lead out to check the right side bias, I heard a snap through the speakers and saw a flash in the left rear EL34 tube.

I checked everything over looking for obvious problems and found none, so I plugged it back in and hooked it up to my iPod. I got clear, beautiful music out of the right channel and nothing out of the left, so I figured that I nuked the left rear tube, so I swapped them from side to side with no change (at least I didn't kill the tube).

I poked around a little more, and wasn't able to find any loose wires, so I plugged it back in and after a minute or so of being powered on, I got another flash out of the left rear tube again without messing with the bias adjustments.

All of the tube heaters come on and glow as they should, even when I do get that flash. Does anyone have any advice as to where to start looking for trouble?

Thanks in advance!
kingmatt

Postby kingmatt » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:22 pm

Nevermind, I figured it out myself.
kingmatt

Return to st70