ST-70 Dropping Resistor Question

knowledge base for the classic Dynaco ST70

ST-70 Dropping Resistor Question

Postby skidave » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:32 am

OK, so I messed up one resistor on a huge Mouser order and now I need some help. On the quad cap, the 6.8K dropping resistor I ordered was a two watt resistor instead of a three watt. I messed up the BOM & I did not realize it until I got my order. The part I ordered was 282-6.8K-RC instead of a 283-6.8K-RC. The 22K is a three watt.

I am trying to do the math to see if I can use the two watt safely. Otherwise I have to reorder and pay 16 times the price of the resistor for shipping ($.49 x 16 = $8.00 shipping). This math I can do!

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Dave
skidave

Postby TomMcNally » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:59 am

Dave -

The original Dynaco ST-70 manual doesn't mention resistor wattage,
but I am pretty sure they used a 6.8K 2 watt part. Put yours in,
if it gets really really hot, or smokes, get a bigger one.

I think it will work just fine.
TomMcNally
Darling du Jour

Postby Ty_Bower » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:01 pm

Is this on a stock ST70, between cap lugs B & C? The manual shows only a 40 volt drop across that part (415V -> 375V).

V=I*R and P=I*V. Rearranging, I get I=V/R, so P=(V/R)*V. Therefore, P=(40/6800)*40=0.24, or less than a quarter watt. I guess it really boils down to the initial inrush current (charging the empty cap) but I'd imagine you'll be fine with the two watt part.
"It's a different experience; the noise occlusion, crisp, clear sound, and defined powerful bass. Strong bass does not corrupt the higher frequencies, giving a very different overall feel of the sound, one that is, in my opinion, quite unique."
Ty_Bower
KT88

Postby skidave » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:09 pm

Thanks Ty. Yes, you have the resistor location correct. I thought I was way off in my math. This high wattage must be for inrush???

Tom, The original part is a two or three watt carbon. I did check the manual and you are correct--no specification on wattage.

I'll check the temp after some use (when it is off).

Thanks,

Dave
skidave

Re: ST-70 Dropping Resistor Question

Postby kheper » Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:21 pm

skidave wrote:OK, so I messed up one resistor on a huge Mouser order and now I need some help. On the quad cap, the 6.8K dropping resistor I ordered was a two watt resistor instead of a three watt. I messed up the BOM & I did not realize it until I got my order. The part I ordered was 282-6.8K-RC instead of a 283-6.8K-RC. The 22K is a three watt.

I am trying to do the math to see if I can use the two watt safely. Otherwise I have to reorder and pay 16 times the price of the resistor for shipping ($.49 x 16 = $8.00 shipping). This math I can do!

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Dave

I am using a 2W as a dropping resistor on the can cap in my st70, but I do not know which one it is.

The 2W should be ok. Carefully check it for signs of heat after it has been on for an hour or so.
kheper
KT88

Postby Geek » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:23 pm

I use 1 or 2W in power supplies weather they need them or not for voltage rating safety factor.

Cheers!
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Return to st70