Interested in a ST-70 driver with Mullard 5-20 circuit?

knowledge base for the classic Dynaco ST70

Anyone interested in a ST-70 driver with Mullard 5-20 circuit?

Yay!
89%
Nay!
11%
Variation of (please describe)
No votes

Total votes : 9

Postby Geek » Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:45 pm

I have received no mail for over a week, except a CC statement.

So if there has been a mail thief, seems silly to me to take the tranny and leave the CC statement :-\

Customs is probably trying to devise a way to bill me $50 for the transformer *rolleyes*

Cheers!
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Postby EWBrown » Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:44 pm

It's double-boxed in a roughtly 6 inch cube cardboard outer box, and pretty well taped all over, the USPO added even more tape than I originally had - I had to remove a "priority mail address sticker, and just write the address on the box with a permanent marker, to keep those USPO "fedrones" from pi$$ing their shorts... As you can probably surmise, I consider most government "workers" as being on a par with poison ivy rash or weeping herpes sores 8^P

I posted o the CN22 (?) customs form that this was a gift and had a value of one dollar. I couldn't state that it had zero value, it had to be at least a buck just to keep the "fedrones" at the USPO happy.

I suppose that Dudley Do-Right and his Royal County Mounties are trying to figure out if all the wires means that it could be a "gift" from Al Khyder ;-) . tick tick tick....

In a similar vein, I mailed to Shannon a set of the Trafomatic ST35 iron a couple years ago: .

I was originally going to present them to him in person when he was in VT and NH a couple years ago, He was going to be in my area anyway, but I figured that the TA folks at the airports would get their "panties in a bunch" over these mysterious looking round metal things with all the wires sticking out of them, and not allow them (or him) on the aircraft.

/ed B
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby Geek » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:32 pm

EWBrown wrote:I suppose that Dudley Do-Right and his Royal County Mounties are trying to figure out if all the wires means that it could be a "gift" from Al Khyder ;-) . tick tick tick....

LOL!

I've noticed it depends on the border crossing it comes across... if it's Hamilton, ON or Montreal, it'll be here Monday or Tuesday. If it's Richmond, BC, it'll be a couple more weeks :-\
(they are the spookiest lot there... package from the US with wires gives them looks on their faces like the cat gets when the vacuum cleaner gets turned on)

Cheers!
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Postby EWBrown » Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:20 pm

What you really need is to have a shipping address of a friend in the USA who lives right next to the US/CAN border, who also happens to own a large Trebuchet.

Then he could literally just fling them over the border, and you could catch the high-velocity incoming "projectile". Talk about "express air" delivery... Medieval era "high tech" sometimes has a higher purpose than simply storming castles...

package from the US with wires gives them looks on their faces like the cat gets when the vacuum cleaner gets turned on)

Or the nervousness that a snake would experience, when trying to cross a large room, at a rocking chair convention ;-)

I can imagine the massive panic that could be created, if one were to ship a wound-up alarm clock over the border. tick tick tick...

FWIW, just to attempt to bring this topic somewhat back on-topic, the 6GU7 (and 8GU7) is the 6V (or 8V) filament near-equivalents of a 12BH7A.

The 'GU7s are currently still considered to be in the "plinker class" category, but that could rapidly change, once AES starts getting large numbers of orders for these tubes. 8^/

/ed B
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby Geek » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:01 am

I actually got around to doing this (lol)

Rather than repost everything....
http://geek.scorpiorising.ca/GeeK_ZonE/ ... pic=4565.0

Heckuva good sounding board (y)

Cheers!
-= Gregg =-
Geek
KT88

Postby DeathRex » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:18 am

I just got a couple of 5879s. They are pentodes that are supposed to be good for audio. How would they compare to 6EJ7s?
At first I wanted to be a ET. Now I are one.
DeathRex
KT88

Postby Geek » Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:33 pm

Never tried them personally, so your Googling would be as good as mine (???)

Cheers!
-= Gregg =-
Geek
KT88

Previous

Return to st70