diytube ST70 oscillates without a speaker load

knowledge base for the classic Dynaco ST70

Postby TomMcNally » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:42 pm

JimB wrote:It is interesting that the ST-70 and Mark III manuals do not mention having speakers or other load connected to the outputs when setting the bias initially. I wonder why, if this is so deadly to the output transformers?

Because they were drooling over the thought of collecting that
$ 7.50 plus the cost of parts for every blown up amplifier that
Railway Express brought them to fix. (see ST-70 manual)
TomMcNally
Darling du Jour

Postby Geek » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:11 pm

Also back in the day, it was common knowledge to connect speakers.

SS amps don't need such a thing, therefore people are losing their amp tune-up skills :(

Cheers!
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Postby JimB » Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:51 am

This has probably been covered here somewhere before, but are there any quick and easy tests that can be used to identify transformers that have suffered this kind of damage?
JimB

Postby Geek » Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:00 pm

JimB wrote:This has probably been covered here somewhere before, but are there any quick and easy tests that can be used to identify transformers that have suffered this kind of damage?

Yeah, my ST-70 a mate loaned me had suffered from this... the OPT's tend to short out to their secondary from arcing :'(

That's one failure mode...

Cheers!
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Postby dannyr » Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:35 am

Speaking of oscillation does anyone have any idea why a set of speakers seem to cause a random onset of it to happen? I have a set of KEF 103.2's that will bring it on with a Citation V amp and it's driving me nuts. They seem to work fine with a ST70.
dannyr

Postby Geek » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:26 pm

Sweep the impedance of the speakers. Maybe it's them or maybe's there's something wrong with the amp.

Cheers!
-= Gregg =-
Geek
KT88

Previous

Return to st70