Blackburn ST70 on Craigslist

knowledge base for the classic Dynaco ST70

Blackburn ST70 on Craigslist

Postby Quad » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:43 pm

In case anyone is interested, I saw a ST70 for sale on
CL with a Blackburn board.
As far as I can make out, it looks like he has a newer PT with
the taller laminations stack, and Russian caps on the board.

http://knoxville.craigslist.org/ele/1053145087.html

Prasad
Quad
KT88

Postby burnedfingers » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:33 am

Well, its not the Blackburn PC board but a hand wired one probably by the seller. I have some personal experience with the board because I have a working unit. The circuit isn't anything to write home about as its so-so at best. Is it worth the asking price? Well, a new transformer is what..$139 plus the value of the output transformers at say $150 and the chassis if its in good shape at $60? for a total of around $350 So it would put someone into a Dynaco for a somewhat reasonable price.
burnedfingers
KT88

Postby TerrySmith » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:23 pm

I built it! Matt was out of the boards so I hard wired the driver circuit. It does have a Triode PT and outputs of unknown origin, but sound as good as stock. every other part is new except the chassis.
T. Smith
TerrySmith
KT88

Postby burnedfingers » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:59 pm

Quote:
I built it! Matt was out of the boards so I hard wired the driver circuit. It does have a Triode PT and outputs of unknown origin, but sound as good as stock. every other part is new except the chassis.

And you did a nice job on it. Just pointing out its worth the money. The components alone are probably worth the asking price and thats not even figuring your time. There is nothing wrong with wiring point-to-point as it was good enough for those that developed a major amount of the circuits out there.
burnedfingers
KT88

Return to st70