What Makes This ST-70 So Special?

knowledge base for the classic Dynaco ST70

What Makes This ST-70 So Special?

Postby rockable » Wed May 07, 2008 5:54 pm

rockable

Postby mesherm » Wed May 07, 2008 7:21 pm

Wishfull thinking most likely.
I am always suspicious when I see a 0 feedback ebay bidder driving the price up. I personally knew one guy at work who had his friend list a Nintendo Wii and he used his own account to bid the price up. I called him on it but he refused to admit that it was "cheating".
I can't see how this ST-70 type is worth over $1000 no matter what special driver circuit it has. The GE tubes don't impress me much either.
Mike's N-1 Rule: When looking for N number of components to finish a job, you have a 95% chance of only finding N-1 of them.
mesherm
KT88

Postby rockable » Thu May 08, 2008 5:59 am

I agree. Something doesn't smell right in that auction. Zero feedback buyer has way too many bids in a row.

Since I"m a newbie, I was not familiar with that variation of the ST-70, nor it's supposed collectability.

Thanks.
rockable

Postby erichayes » Thu May 08, 2008 5:10 pm

Eric in the Jefferson State
erichayes
KT88

Postby rockable » Fri May 09, 2008 5:24 am

Somebody thought it was really special. Shill bidding or not. Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_06
rockable

Postby Slartibartfast » Fri May 09, 2008 6:47 am

rockable wrote:Somebody thought it was really special. Shill bidding or not. Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_06

True

Judging how the bidding was going before Mr. Zero entered the picture and after, I figure the shilling gained him an extra $400.
Slartibartfast
KT88

Postby dcriner » Fri May 09, 2008 8:50 am

Doug Criner
dcriner
KT88

Postby mesherm » Fri May 09, 2008 9:27 am

The ARC mod used solid state rectification.
For more info http://www.arcdb.ws/ST70C3/ST70C3.html
Mike's N-1 Rule: When looking for N number of components to finish a job, you have a 95% chance of only finding N-1 of them.
mesherm
KT88

Postby dcriner » Fri May 09, 2008 12:16 pm

Oh, OK. They inserted a second can capacitor where the rectifier tube was.

mesherm wrote:The ARC mod used solid state rectification.
For more info http://www.arcdb.ws/ST70C3/ST70C3.html
Doug Criner
dcriner
KT88

Postby crispycircuit » Fri May 09, 2008 12:48 pm

ARC sold kits for this mod and may have done a few at the factory. It was very expensive and was during the days of early mods. My guess is he's selling a rare piece of history to the wealthy far east collectors. We'll see if it sells?? You can question these items but it does hurt to test the market... Each to his own......
crispycircuit

Postby Ty_Bower » Fri May 09, 2008 1:21 pm

Was that the "super" ST70 that Stereophile dared the modders to build? The one what was supposed to beat the undefeated champion of the time (some Marantz 8B or something)?
Ty_Bower
KT88

Postby crispycircuit » Fri May 09, 2008 5:02 pm

The ARC mod and Stereofiles "Brute" amps were considered top of the heap gear. The Brute amp use 2 seperate chassis, both were Dyna based, with Dyna outputs, Dyna input driver circuit, a very detailed build instructions and was quite costly. These 2 amps were in the era of all solid state gear and tube stuff was considered fringe exotic odd stuff for the truley dedicated. I do have a copy of the Brute article and I had 1 here for repair. It was all stock parts from 70's built to exact article specs. The build was great but the sonics (all 70s parts) were nothing exciting. It was really a big deal in their day and caused the tube verses solid state bebate, but kept tubes in the picture..... Over all I'd say a new Dyna ST70 kit is an immemse improvement in sonics...
crispycircuit

Postby burnedfingers » Sat May 10, 2008 6:23 am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can't see how this ST-70 type is worth over $1000 no matter what special driver circuit it has. The GE tubes don't impress me much either.

It must have impressed those bidding on it. It certainly would have a clear advantage in sonics over the original and for that matter most hum drum aftermarket driver boards.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Something doesn't smell right in that auction. Zero feedback buyer has way too many bids in a row.

You guys sound like a bunch of old ladies at a church gathering. Nothing special to say but you can surely figure out how to point and judge. Sometimes these "Zero Feedback" buyers are collectors trying to mask their identity so they can buy an item and turn around and either re-sell it under a different identity or move it to a eastern buyer with more cash than brains.
burnedfingers
KT88

Postby Slartibartfast » Sat May 10, 2008 6:39 am

burnedfingers wrote:
You guys sound like a bunch of old ladies at a church gathering. Nothing special to say but you can surely figure out how to point and judge. Sometimes these "Zero Feedback" buyers are collectors trying to mask their identity so they can buy an item and turn around and either re-sell it under a different identity or move it to a eastern buyer with more cash than brains.

Interesting theory, but if Mr. Anonymous stops bidding at $1300 on
May-06-08 01:14:35 PDT He does not bid any more and the high bidder gets it at May-08-08 19:24:50 PDT, for only $150 more. If what you say is true, he must not have wanted real bad... or it is shill bidding.

Now if I were to shill bid, I would use another login ID and actually go out and win some trivial low cost stuff to make it seem more legit...
Slartibartfast
KT88

Postby burnedfingers » Sat May 10, 2008 6:51 am

Interesting theory, but if Mr. Anonymous stops bidding at $1300 on
May-06-08 01:14:35 PDT He does not bid any more and the high bidder gets it at May-08-08 19:24:50 PDT, for only $150 more.

Did you ever consider that Mr. Anonymous may have had only X dollars to spend?

I have bid on things in the past only to stop short because I had reached my limit so that makes me a shill bidder also?

Maybe the logical thing to do here is not judge because we don't have all the facts.

I would rather have someone bid on one of my auctions with a zero feedback and follow thru and pay for the item than I would have a bidder with a 1500 feedback that ended up not purchasing the item.

I would have gladly bid on this item if I had enough extra cash in my toy fund. After having looked at the schematic I would imagine it would sound quite well and probably well worth the extra spent.
burnedfingers
KT88

Next

Return to st70