What Makes This ST-70 So Special?

knowledge base for the classic Dynaco ST70

Postby Slartibartfast » Sat May 10, 2008 6:59 am

burnedfingers wrote:
Did you ever consider that Mr. Anonymous may have had only X dollars to spend?

I have bid on things in the past only to stop short because I had reached my limit so that makes me a shill bidder also?

Maybe the logical thing to do here is not judge because we don't have all the facts.

I am not judging anyone. I am just assessing the situation. AS For Mr. Anonymous. If he only has a limited amount to spend, he does not strike me as the type to be trying to sell to some far eastern buyers, or anyone else for that matter.

Oh and if he had limited funds, there are other less esoteric versions of the ST-70, that would be a lot cheaper.
Slartibartfast
KT88

Postby burnedfingers » Sat May 10, 2008 7:10 am

I am not judging anyone. I am just assessing the situation. AS For Mr. Anonymous. If he only has a limited amount to spend, he does not strike me as the type to be trying to sell to some far eastern buyers, or anyone else for that matter.

Your not judging? Could have fooled me. Well, I guess call it what you like. When I make an assessment of a situation I generally look at all the information available. Since neither you or I are mind readers we are not able to access all the information in order to make a accurate judgement or assessment or whatever you would like to call it.
burnedfingers
KT88

Postby Slartibartfast » Sat May 10, 2008 7:25 am

burnedfingers wrote:I am not judging anyone. I am just assessing the situation. AS For Mr. Anonymous. If he only has a limited amount to spend, he does not strike me as the type to be trying to sell to some far eastern buyers, or anyone else for that matter.

Your not judging? Could have fooled me. Well, I guess call it what you like. When I make an assessment of a situation I generally look at all the information available. Since neither you or I are mind readers we are not able to access all the information in order to make a accurate judgement or assessment or whatever you would like to call it.

There are also past trends, and this particular pattern fits.
Slartibartfast
KT88

Postby burnedfingers » Sat May 10, 2008 7:41 am

Until you have positive proof you have nothing to go on.

Move on and give it a rest!
burnedfingers
KT88

Postby Slartibartfast » Sat May 10, 2008 7:49 am

burnedfingers wrote:Until you have positive proof you have nothing to go on.

Move on and give it a rest!

But speculation is soooo much fun. Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_04 Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_03 Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_09
Slartibartfast
KT88

ARC ST-70C3 kit

Postby rjones5296 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:24 pm

Funny thing on the page located at
http://www.arcdb.ws/ST70C3/ST70C3.html
The shot of the underside of the amplifier.
I built that amplifier, notice the regualtor for the first tube fillaments, and the additional bias transformer.
The power transformer is not a stock dyna tranny, I replaced it with a 400ma power transformer, and had to add the bias transformer.
bob
rjones5296

Postby Pyre » Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:51 am

Hi bob,

You built that amp, nice. How did you like it compared to other ST-70's?
I have one and will have to have a look under the hood. Was the additional filament transformer your addition to the design? I think mine has a some capacitors in that area. I believe my main transformer is stock and likes to get a bit warm but its never had any issues. Great sounding amp, worth 1300.00, I wish.

Mine is missing the front plate, someone replaced it with some cheesy wood. Any idea where to get a replacement?
Pyre

Postby sled108 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:44 pm

How's this for an Odd-Ball ST70....6U10 Compactrons & KT77s...

http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/vt.mpl?f=set&m=56963
sled108

Postby TerrySmith » Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:12 am

The 6U10 triple triode is basically half a 12AX7 for the center triode and a 12AU7 for the other two triodes.

I'm actually working on a project with a compactron driver and PP 29GK6 outputs.
T. Smith
TerrySmith
KT88

Postby Ty_Bower » Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:51 am

Cool. Shannon could draw us up a single socket Poseidon board.
Ty_Bower
KT88

Previous

Return to st70