Buzz in my OTHER ST-70....argh!

knowledge base for the classic Dynaco ST70

Postby burnedfingers » Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:10 am

I would suggest getting credit on the cap and replacing it. It shouldn't be necessary to have to re-form a new cap. If the cap has been sitting on the shelf for years and actually needs reformed you don't want that cap.
Replace it with a "NEW" cap.

Cap forming in gereral doesn't work all the time. My experience trying to reform caps is that at best it only buys one a slight amount of time before the cap begins to malfunction again.

The cap boards available now days provide very nice filtering and the ability to replace individual caps as needed at a cost savings. The original cap can be left to provide that original look if needed.
burnedfingers
KT88

Postby joeriz » Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:19 pm

Just to update this thread...

I removed the suspect can cap, sent it back to Kevin at Dynakitparts.com (who took it back no questions asked and sent out the replacement same day...typical the great service I've received from him), and installed the new one. Problem solved.

Thanks for the help.

[EDIT: Also wanted to add that Kevin mentioned that he sent the defective cap back to the manufacturer to have them take a look at it. It's good to know that he is working with them and making them aware of the issue.]

Joe
joeriz

Previous

Return to st70