ST-70s as Monoblocks ???

knowledge base for the classic Dynaco ST70

ST-70s as Monoblocks ???

Postby hilldweller » Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:57 pm

I don't know a lot about this so I will ask.
Using ST-70s as monoblocks. Good idea or bad idea? How is one speaker run with two output transformers? Does this actually work and how? Any advantages or disadvantages? I am still learning this stuff so bear with me. Thank you all for your expertise. It is very appreciated. I am trying to make up my mind on two Mark IIIs or Two ST-70s as monoblocks. Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_14
Analog is Real! Experience it!
Digital leads to trans humanism. Not good.
hilldweller
KT88

Postby SDS-PAGE » Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:54 pm

According the original manual, you will connect only one input cable to either the left or the right input (never both) with the input switch set to "mono". Then connect two commons together w/ an insulated wire. For a 8 ohm loudspeaker, you would connect two 16 ohms terminals together and for 4 ohm you would connect two 8 ohm terminals together. You can also connect an 8 ohm loudspeaker to paralleled 8 ohms taps, or a 4 ohm loudspeaker to paralleled 4 ohms taps.
I can't really comment on MKIII vs. ST-70 mono, as I ain't got no MKs (at least till tomorrow). But for me, it would make sense to get two MKs than two ST-70s, 'cos the former would be a lot cheaper. Yes, economics plays a big role in my tube hobbies until I have a real job. -Min
SDS-PAGE
KT88

Re: ST-70 as monoblocks

Postby Bob01605 » Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:48 pm

The best way to run two ST-70's and get the 70 WPC is to biamp your speakers. Hopefully your speakers have separate inputs for the woofer and tweeter. Dynaco does list, as has been said, instructions in the manual to use the each amp as a monoblock but this involves jumper wires etc.

I have heard two Mark III monoblocks vs two ST-70's in a biamped situation in a system and IMHO the two ST-70's sound better.

Bob Latino
Bob01605

Return to st70