Possible PAS3 mod

knowledge base for the classic Dynaco ST70

Possible PAS3 mod

Postby Slartibartfast » Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:21 pm

Hello all,

One drawback of the PAS3 preamp is the weak transformer. What do you all think about adding a secone PT, one to power the PC5 board and one to power the PC6 board? This would also require a second SDS cap board.

I am not worried about the practicality of this mod, unless of course anyone knows of a more robust PT that would fit in the PAS3.

Robert
Slartibartfast
KT88

Postby dcriner » Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:38 pm

Hi, Robert -

If the PAS3 xfmr runs a little hot, I don't think it will hurt anything other than possibly the xfmr itself. If it burns out, then you will then replace it, which is what you're comtemplating doing now, right?

You can disconnect the pilot lamp - that will unload the xfmr some. Either leave the lamp disconnected or replace it with a diode and suitable ballast resistor.
Doug Criner
dcriner
KT88

Postby Slartibartfast » Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:55 am

dcriner wrote:Hi, Robert -

If the PAS3 xfmr runs a little hot, I don't think it will hurt anything other than possibly the xfmr itself. If it burns out, then you will then replace it, which is what you're comtemplating doing now, right?

The current xfmr is fine. Just an an exercise, I was thinking of adding a second PT and SDS cap board to power the PC5 and PC6 seperately. I have already removed the pilot lamp.
Slartibartfast
KT88

Return to st70