DiyTube Driver Board vs Curcio Board

knowledge base for the classic Dynaco ST70

Postby Blackburn Audio » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:43 pm

Mark, I apologize for the mixup with your board. I'll give you a discount on your next order if you need anymore parts, Just give me a call at the shop and I'll take your order for you. I am building all the dynaco boards myself now because that way I don't have to worry about stuff like this happening. Glad to hear you got it straightened out though, hope it wasn't to much of a headache.

-Matt at Triode Electronics
Blackburn Audio

Postby mesherm » Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:05 pm

I don't know if he is still selling them but a driver board that I have had a lot of success with is Roy Mottram's VTA driver. It is very handy if you are scratch building an ST70 type amp as it has bias and the driver power filtering caps on board. All you have to supply is a simple CLC power supply and raw bias voltage. It uses 3 12AT7s in a grounded cathode/LTP type circuit.
http://www.tubes4hifi.com/
mesherm
KT88

Postby MarkC » Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:37 pm

distortedskies wrote:Mark, I apologize for the mixup with your board. I'll give you a discount on your next order if you need anymore parts, Just give me a call at the shop and I'll take your order for you. I am building all the dynaco boards myself now because that way I don't have to worry about stuff like this happening. Glad to hear you got it straightened out though, hope it wasn't to much of a headache.

Matt, not a problem. I appreciate the offer. Just send me a brand new rebuilt ST70 and we'll call it even. Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_06
I think the guy that was stuffing the boards for you guys at the time was a part-timer.
It was probably 7 - 8 years ago. The mixup wasn't enough to discourage
me from ordering from Triode. I've placed several orders since then
and will place more in the future. Hey, I've since learned to do my own soldering!
I've hung onto the board with the hopes of using it again in the future. In keeping
with the original purpose of this thread, I highly recommend the Triode board.
MarkC

Postby soundmasterg » Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:06 pm

Thanks guys! Matt, what is the JJ ECC99?

I've got a bunch of NOS 50's RCA 12AU7's and I was thinking of using one of those and some NOS EF86's. I've still got the original Mullard EL34's too which show lots of good life left, but I'll probably go with some JJ KT77's or something like that and use the Mullards for guitar amp projects.

Greg
soundmasterg

Postby Blackburn Audio » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:32 am

The ECC99 is a new tube made by JJ which has characteristics similiar to 5687 and E182CC. It is a high transconductance tube with a low plate resistance (around 2k). It is great for driving 300B's, 2A3's etc. Sounds great in our board though and is easily usable since it has the same pinout as 12AU7. You can drop the value of the Plate resistors to help take advantage of the lower Rp of the ECC99. Our stock value is 47k but you could drop those to 22k 2W's if you plan to use the ECC99 all the time though it works fine with the 47k's. It does draw a bit more filament current but it should be fine, I am using one of our PA060's and it can take the extra filament draw with no problems.

Blackburn Audio

Postby soundmasterg » Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:27 pm

Thank you Matt! I hadn't heard of that tube, but it sounds like a good option to try out. I need to save some money to order up a new ST70 chassis from you and then I'll get started on the rebuild....

Greg
soundmasterg

Previous

Return to st70