Rebuilding my ST-70...a few questions

knowledge base for the classic Dynaco ST70

Postby mesherm » Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:42 pm

So, per my edit above, would a 500v cap be sufficient (again, it would not be on the first section)?

Yes, 500 volts will work fine in the second section. That is where they do the most good.

I'm thinking it would also be a good idea to put an inrush limiter (CL-80?) in. This would go in series with the power transformer primary, correct? (Going by memory here.) The primary is the wire coming off of the fuse holder I think(?). So I would wire one end of the CL-80 to the fuse holder and the power trans. primary off of the other end of the CL-80? Sound correct?

That would work although I usually use a 3 lug phenolic terminal strip (with the ground lug cut off) attached under the closest choke or tranny mounting screw to solder the CL-80 to and then run the wires to the fuse holder and PT. The solder lugs provide a good anchor and keep the CL80 from touching any other wires. It will get hot.
mesherm
KT88

Postby joeriz » Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:53 pm

That would work although I usually use a 3 lug phenolic terminal strip (with the ground lug cut off) attached under the closest choke or tranny mounting screw to solder the CL-80 to and then run the wires to the fuse holder and PT. The solder lugs provide a good anchor and keep the CL80 from touching any other wires. It will get hot.

Oooh...good idea. Will do.

Last question - sorry - will a CL-90 be OK as opposed to CL-80? I think so but want to be sure.

Thanks.
joeriz

Postby mesherm » Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:07 pm

Last question - sorry - will a CL-90 be OK as opposed to CL-80? I think so but want to be sure.

A CL-90 is rated 120 ohms 2 amps which might be a tad high. It won't hurt anything to wire it in though. Just check your B+ and filament voltages after it warms up to see if its dropping the voltage too much. Then you can either change it to a CL-80 or wire another CL-90 in parallel.
mesherm
KT88

Previous

Return to st70