Deformed Power Transformer? (PA-060-S Dynaclone)

knowledge base for the classic Dynaco ST70

Deformed Power Transformer? (PA-060-S Dynaclone)

Postby snitch56 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:48 am

I purchased a new PA-060-S Dynaclone from Triode Electronics. I was doing a fit check on a new chassis and it revealed that the transformer bottom has a shape similar to a Plano-Convex Lens (view from the side reveals that the center section of the transformer is thicker then the ends). The front of the transformer sits off the chassis about 1mm and the rear sits off the chassis about 2 mm. I did an ultrasonic time-of-flight c-scan of the chassis to verify that is was perfectly flat.
Is this shape typical for these transformers or is this transformer deformed?
Thanks in advance.
snitch56

Postby mesherm » Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:34 pm

I have purchased two of those trannies from Triode in the past and both have been flat. Mine were mounted on a stock ST70 chassis with 0.020" fiber washers under the four nuts on the bottom end of the trannies.
I have never seen one bulged in the center as you describe. Maybe thicker spacers would lift it off the chassis enough all the way around.
BTW, its to bad you are on the East coast. I have to sub out all our TOF C-Scan compression after impact NDI.
mesherm
KT88

Postby Blackburn Audio » Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:17 pm

They should be flat, we've never had any problems with this issue before. If it just doesn't seem to work out just send me an email to matt@triodestore.com and we can arrange to replace the transformer with a new one for you. You can also get ahold of me at the shop at 773-871-7459.

-Matt at Triodeelectronics.com
Blackburn Audio

Postby snitch56 » Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:15 pm

Triode Electronics has painlessly resolved the problem with the rare deformed transformer. :)

Thanks for the world class customer support Matt!!
snitch56

Return to st70