A crazy idea for ST-70 chassis...

knowledge base for the classic Dynaco ST70

A crazy idea for ST-70 chassis...

Postby SDS-PAGE » Wed May 16, 2007 11:57 am

I am warming to an idea of either building or restoring a ST-70 and was thinking about some creative ways to make the chassis stand out. Then came to mind "Maquarium". It's basically a mac computer hacked to work like an aquarium. Here is a link to some samples:
http://hackedgadgets.com/2006/11/28/computer-aquariums/
I really like the ones from 80's with small monitor and a floppy drive built in one. I was thinking to use the monitor space as a display (w/some cool blue display light that's dim) for the tubes and hide the irons underneath and have a fan cooling them. I haven't thought of any specifics yet, at least not until I get hold of one, but there should be enough space for everything. What would be even cooler would be to use it as a fish tank at the same time and have tubes as a heater for tropical fish. J/K
I've always wanted to own a McIntosh amp, and this might be the way to do it!
Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_05 -Min
SDS-PAGE
KT88

Postby parabellum » Wed May 16, 2007 12:10 pm

hehehe I spent a lot of time thinking about a cool chassis for an ST70 that I am about to build. But I am drawn to wood.

Btw Mike has already built some seethrough chassis that you might want to check out.
parabellum

Postby SDS-PAGE » Wed May 16, 2007 12:40 pm

I love the metal on wood config. too! If you like the wood, I would check out Homedepot, especially their Poplar section. I am sure you have already looked into it, but ones that are used for the handrail for stairways make good base.
SDS-PAGE
KT88

Postby parabellum » Wed May 16, 2007 1:58 pm

Haven't checked them out yet but that will be my first stop definitely.
parabellum

Return to st70