Comparison to H.H. Scott 222-D

knowledge base for the classic Dynaco ST70

Comparison to H.H. Scott 222-D

Postby dcriner » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:55 pm

The H.H. Scott 222 is most comparable to an ST35, which I don't have - so I'm posting my comments here.

The 222-D has four 7189 output tubes in P-P. It is an "integrated" amp, with a built-in phono preamp.

With high-level inputs, e.g., tuner or CD player, I think the Scott and Dynaco ST70 sound equally good to my ears (which I admit are not perfect). If anything, maybe the Scott is sounds slightly better.

The ST70, with a separate Dyanaco PAS-3 preamp, sounds much better than a phonograph played through the Scott. I'm going to be working some more on the Scott, but I've read elsewhere that its built-in phono pre-amp isn't all that good. I haven't yet tried playing the phono through the PAS and thence to a high-level input of the Scott, but I expect it to be better.

Unllike the ST70, the Scott does not have an utlralinear output. The Scott has a mutitude of switches to change speaker phasing, monaural combinations, etc. Most of these features are not very important to me.

So far, I would compare the Scott to a 1956 MG and the ST70 to a 1956 Chevrolet.

Doug
Doug Criner
dcriner
KT88

Return to st70