Reaffirmation

knowledge base for the classic Dynaco ST70

Reaffirmation

Postby WA4SWJ » Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:42 pm

Hi Gang,

Just finished converting an original Dynaco ST-70 with Shannon's driver board and an SDS Labs power supply/capacitor board. Worked the first time I powered it up. It sounds just as great as my built-from-scratch ST-70 clone. Both are fantastic amplifiers. Some pictures have been posted on my Webshots pages. Go to webshots.com and search for users (longea) and you'll find my tube amplifier pictures as one of my picture albums. Also I uploaded a picture of my tube amp home theater in that album - kind of in a messy state with cables running everywhere but it works and sounds great. That's Harry Potter on the screen.

I've also been listening to my Sherwood S-6040 CP, a great MOSFET 120 watt amp. You can barely see it sitting on the floor in front of everything else in the home theater picture. It definitely sounds good. I just bought the Sherwood to match one I have in Phoenix that I've owned since the 70's. Anyway, I switched in the ST-70 after listening to the Sherwood for a couple of weeks using the same speakers and CD player (Denon DCD-1560) and the ST-70 is much more open, clearer and just plain ol' sounds better. I'm amazed how well these amps work. There is no doubt it sounds better than the MOSFET amp. Granted the Sherwood contains 30 year old technology, but the ST-70 is older than that!

Once again, thanks Shannon for the driver and thanks to all the guys for keeping this forum very interesting indeed. My ST-35 is going into the garage to run a system there. The whole house rocks! Now I've got to finish the 832 amp and some kind of amp using Eric's HF-89 clone output transformers. Still thinking about what I want to do with those but I have bought some JJ KT-88's.

BTW - If you are a Jazz fan the Jazzmasters V album is awesome. It will show what a tube amp can do at both ends of the audio spectrum.

Regards,
Ed Long
WA4SWJ
KT88

Jazzmasters

Postby leadtower » Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:08 pm

WA4SWJ; Say WA I am a big jazz fan. What is Jazzmasters? Is that a label of compilations or something?
leadtower

Postby WA4SWJ » Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:12 am

Hi leadtower,

Well, it's the first album of theirs that I have. I suppose it's a group lead, or at least produced, by Paul Hardcastle. You should be able to find it at any well stocked CD store or I'm sure the online sites would have it too. In my opinion track 10 is fantastic. It's a great sound and it's over 10 minutes long!

Hope you like it. I think it's one of the best I've heard in a while. Fourplay is another of my favorite groups and I like Joyce Cooling too.

Regards,
Ed Long
WA4SWJ
KT88

Return to st70