St 70 channel out

knowledge base for the classic Dynaco ST70

St 70 channel out

Postby leadtower » Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:53 pm

Hi All; I have one channel out on my ST 70. I can't figure it out.
Swapped tubes with known good one; stays in that channel.
Swapped output tubes.
Checked PS all voltages going into the board are good.
The output tubes bias up right to 500 ma on each tube and I get 0 mv by adjusting the balance resistor.
I do have a funny reading on one of the transistors; 28 v on one side of the right transistor; but I only get 18 v on the left transistor. I measured all possible links in the chain and that is one difference; the lower reading is on the bad side. I measured the resistance on the trimpots and they are all the same for each channel so that looks good.
I can get volt readings for the tubes if that would help.
The speaker jacks are good; I get sound out of both channels until the amp warms up; then it dies in one channel. I use the ST 70 transformers.
Thanks for any advice.
leadtower

Re: St 70 channel out

Postby Shannon Parks » Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:05 pm

leadtower wrote:I do have a funny reading on one of the transistors; 28 v on one side of the right transistor; but I only get 18 v on the left transistor.

The CCS is blown. Replace the one reading 28V. I can mail you one if that helps.

This only the second one I know of blowing out. They have a 40V tolerance and some conditions (oscillation from phase swap in the case I know of) can kill them. Channel goes silent , but no other damage. Not as stout as tubes, eh?
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Thanks Shannon

Postby leadtower » Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:29 pm

Pheew! Well it sure hones the troubleshooting skills. I forget where I got this; I guess mouser. Is that available through RS? I can just order it unless you have one in which case I'll buy from you.
Thanks again; it's the one with the high reading right?
leadtower

Re: Thanks Shannon

Postby Shannon Parks » Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:38 pm

leadtower wrote:Pheew! Well it sure hones the troubleshooting skills. I forget where I got this; I guess mouser. Is that available through RS? I can just order it unless you have one in which case I'll buy from you.
Thanks again; it's the one with the high reading right?

RS doesn't carry them - they're from Mouser. It should be the 28V one that has failed. I'll drop some in the mail to you tomorrow free of charge. Just email me your address.
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Return to st70