New ST70 Plexi with KT77....WOW!!

knowledge base for the classic Dynaco ST70

New ST70 Plexi with KT77....WOW!!

Postby djunk » Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:11 pm

Finished a new ST70 after I sold the last one on ebay to a fellow stereo geek in Hong Kong. I must say the KT77's are very nice. The sound seems more dynamic and solid. The speakers just snap and the range is perfect. I'm going to start a pair of MK3's and use the three amps in a tri-amped stereo sysytem with some big Klipsch RF5's or RF7's. Should sound sweet!!!
Thanks again to Tom for getting me started on the magic of old tube technology.

Check it out at the link. Any comments or ideas, just let me know.

http://glassaudio.net/el34pp.html
djunk

Postby Shannon Parks » Sun Sep 24, 2006 6:48 am

Very nice work. Is that huge PT a Dynaclone? Serious lam stacking.

I bet it sounds very transparent. Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_02
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby djunk » Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:34 am

All the transformers are from Triode. I took the covers off and painted them a flat black instead of cream like the last one. Both sets were a little banged up right out of the box Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_14 so I would have painted them anyway. I have two plexi chassis for the MK3's too. The three of them should look nice side by side. Might act as good space heaters as well. I may need some kind of a cooling fan. I don't want to look over and see them melting. Should probably keep the records on the other side of the room too.
djunk

Postby EWBrown » Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:43 am

Nice construction job, looks great, and there are absolutely no chassis ground loops Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_01

Those Triode PA060s are monsters, I used one in my last ST70 project. The OPTs were some "house numbered" Dynaco A430s that I got from a Hammond Organ repair shop (through E-bay), at a ridiculously low price at the time. The oversize PA060 barely gets warm, as compared to the original Dyna iron.

/ed B in NH
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby Wmacky » Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:42 pm

I'd like to add a plexi cover for the pc board opening on my ST70. Could you share how you cut the round holes, and what tools you used? Was the plastic really plexi, or lexan?
Wmacky

Postby TomMcNally » Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:04 pm

Definitely a cool look Derek - nice job ! You might shame me outta these pre-painted Hammond steel chassis into something classier ! Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_16
TomMcNally
Darling du Jour

Postby djunk » Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:43 pm

Thanks for the great comments. Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_07
I'm assuming the chassis are plexiglass. I had a company called Kel-Tech Plastics make them out of 3/16 inch and the type of material never came up??? The base is 1/2 smoked and fits inside. The cost was around $80 bucks each. Not super cheap, but they did a nice job and the fit and finish is perfect. I used a 1 1/8 hole saw for the sockets and a Greenlee uni-bit for some of the other holes. (lots of pilot holes too) Be careful with sharp metal bits in plastic, they tend to bite and possibly crack the material.
What's next on the hit list Tom? I don't see any new projects on the website.
djunk

Postby TomMcNally » Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:24 pm

I haven't had much motivation over the summer ... the DIYTube Poseidon/MK-III clones are pretty much the ultimate amps, and since I finished them I figured I have enough for awhile! I might build a little Darling and put it up on eBay. I have lots of parts but not much ambition. Hopefully that will change over the winter.
TomMcNally
Darling du Jour

Return to st70