Another ST70 Clone is Born

knowledge base for the classic Dynaco ST70

Another ST70 Clone is Born

Postby mrted » Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:45 am

First thanks to Shannon and all on this board for a truly fine tube amp.
I still can’t get over how clean and punchy the low end is and the high-end is.. well clean tube amp. One track I love with a tube amp, for the over driven guitar is seger's main street. When played through this amp there is an amassing amount of clarity and the tubes just sweeten it up. Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_11 When the level is increased it just gets louder with no change to the tonal quality. There are surprises on every new track and music everywhere. Also I'm using tower speakers with 15's from an old component system and it was rated at 150w per channel. The St70 will drive them louder than I have ever heard them. Now on to clean up the cap board and on to a line stage then speakers or speakers then line stage. Yellow_Light_Colorz_PDT_14 BTW I know speakers are very subjective but any suggestions on speakers for the ST70 and a room of 25x22? Also cost around $600.

Thanks and Best Regards
Ted
mrted

Postby Wmacky » Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:33 pm

Pics! Pics! We must have the glorious pics. and lots of them!!!!!!!!
Wmacky

Postby Kinacus » Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:10 pm

I love my ST70 also. It is my everyday workhorse, with a nice PAS2 up front, all fed by my iBook through the perfect Airport Express wireless. As far as speakers go, I liked my inexpensive Boston Acoustics A10s, my rebuilt Dynaco A25 sound great, but the Klipsch Fortes are the best. BTW, be sure to try the low cost KT77 tubes in the ST70. They are a significant upgrade.
Kinacus
Kinacus

cheap tube amp speakers?

Postby Shannon Parks » Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:01 pm

I second Kinacus on the Klipsch suggestion, though I would mention Heresy's. Plentiful and under $600. Sensitive enough for most tube amps.

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Return to st70