FS: Budgie Phono Pre with internal Cinemag SUT - #003!

barter, sell, and trade here first

FS: Budgie Phono Pre with internal Cinemag SUT - #003!

Postby Tlarwa » Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:11 pm

I am selling my beloved Parks Audio Budgie phono pre. It's the 3rd one Shannon built, and has the (IMO) more desirable case with wood end caps. I sent the unit back to Shannon in early 2013 and he upgraded the grounding scheme and also installed an SUT with Cinemag transformers. The pre features the Exacta loading scheme, with top accessible DIP switches to set the loading. The MM or MC LO/HI selection is done via DIP switches accessed via a port on the underside of the chassis. Simple, simple. The pre is in excellent condition, and performs flawlessly. I am including the stock EH 6922 tubeset that it shipped with, as well as a matched pair of Holland orange label 6922 tubes, which have been considered to be the best tubeset for this unit. The power cord/charger is also included. The pre is dead quiet, even with my 99 dB speakers.

This is the message from Shannon when I was getting ready to make the upgrade:

Hi Tom,
I started using an internal SUT of my own design with CineMag transformers about a year ago. The performance is amazing! But the gain settings required opening up the Budgie to flip switches or swap cables (to go back to MM). I’ve modified it slightly in the past few weeks and the design is now switchable from a 1” access hole in the bottom rear of the Budgie. I can send pictures this weekend. It is also backwards compatible with your Budgie. You can switch from MM passthru, MC lo (1:18) and MC hi (1:36). I’m super excited about it, and feel this makes the Budgie one of the best preamps out there. I use an Ortofon MC 100 with the MC hi and a Denon DL-103 with the MC lo. It just sounds like pure gold.
The caveats with SUTs in general are that almost all of them are external boxes. This creates a huge problem and attracts hum like a magnet. Even shielded and short RCA cables don’t alleviate the problem. The second problem is that the RCA cable that connects to the SUT needs to be tuned with an RC filter to prevent ringing, and its associated harshness. The SUTs ideally need to be in the same enclosure with a very short cable, which the Budgie does. So the Budgie SUT has no hum and no ringing, which lets the SUT really stand out doing what it does well.
Let me know if you are at all interested, and I can send more info and pictures. I do have the SUT boards and CineMag transformers in stock.
Warm Regards,
Shannon Parks
http://www.parksaudiollc.com

Asking $625 OBO. I'll pick up shipping if you use PP gift. Please contact me with any questions.

Tom
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (126.13 KiB) Viewed 2413 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (148.26 KiB) Viewed 2413 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (77.65 KiB) Viewed 2413 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (86.34 KiB) Viewed 2413 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (104.57 KiB) Viewed 2413 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (101.74 KiB) Viewed 2413 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (72.08 KiB) Viewed 2413 times
Tlarwa

Re: FS: Budgie Phono Pre with internal Cinemag SUT - #003!

Postby Tlarwa » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:59 am

Price drop to $625 OBO with free shipping. I bought a new phono pre, so this baby has to go!
Tlarwa

Re: FS: Budgie Phono Pre with internal Cinemag SUT - #003!

Postby Tlarwa » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:02 pm

Sold pending payment.
Tlarwa

Return to preBay