Wanted: Fostex FF85K

barter, sell, and trade here first

Wanted: Fostex FF85K

Postby Ty_Bower » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:44 pm

Some small child stuck their finger in the middle of my Fostex FF85K. I suppose it is my own fault for leaving the speakers out when children were around. Regardless, I'd be very happy to find a replacement for this discontinued driver. By any slim chance, does anyone have one (or two) of these they would be willing to sell?

"It's a different experience; the noise occlusion, crisp, clear sound, and defined powerful bass. Strong bass does not corrupt the higher frequencies, giving a very different overall feel of the sound, one that is, in my opinion, quite unique."
Ty_Bower
KT88

Postby Shannon Parks » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:04 pm

My condolences. This reminds me that I need to protect mine, ASAP. Are there tasteful kiddie grills to protect our Fostex drivers?

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby TerrySmith » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:33 pm

Couldn't you carefully use a vacuum cleaner to pull that out?
T. Smith
TerrySmith
KT88

Postby Ty_Bower » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:33 pm

separks wrote:My condolences.

Thank you. As I said, nobody's fault but mine. Still, I'm going to feel the sting for a while.

The Fostex K308 are ugly as sin, but fit well and are sturdy. I've got them on my FE87E. I'm sure they come in a variety of sizes. Had I been wise enough to buy another pair, they would have completely prevented this little problem. Sigh.
"It's a different experience; the noise occlusion, crisp, clear sound, and defined powerful bass. Strong bass does not corrupt the higher frequencies, giving a very different overall feel of the sound, one that is, in my opinion, quite unique."
Ty_Bower
KT88

Postby Ty_Bower » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:42 pm

TerrySmith wrote:Couldn't you carefully use a vacuum cleaner to pull that out?

The whole driver is only 85mm (about 3 inches) diameter. The part in the center isn't just a dustcap, it's actually an integrated metal dome (aluminum) tweeter. And, it's very lightweight, which means it is unbelievably thin. I'm quite certain that anything I try to do to fix it will only make things worse.

If I were to attempt any kind of repair at all, it would be something along the lines of the trick they use to fix dents in motorcycle fuel tanks. Take a chunk of dry ice in a pair of pliers, and slowly make circles around the edge of the dent. As the metal shrinks from the cold, the dent is supposed to pop out. Of course, I'd have to use a piece of dry ice no bigger than a rabbit dropping, and the pliers would have to be tweezers.

Or, I can just try to ignore it until I can find a replacement.
Ty_Bower
KT88

Postby Geek » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:39 pm

A buddy of mine is a Fostex guru and he would likely "pffft!" that dent.

Cheers!
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Postby nyazzip » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:39 am

...i was thinking more along the lines of a micro version of automotive dent pulling for sheet metal....kind of. maybe take a chopstick segment, glue an end of it to the dent with cyanoacrylate(crazy glue), and give it a light pull. then dissolve the chopstick bond with acetone, or nip it off with end cutters or nail clippers. jute twine might work even better than a chopstick
also maybe hooked wire and a small drill hole, etc....patch the hole with a dab of epoxy.
whatever the case, i bet no audiophool would ever detect the deformed dustcap, if his eyes were closed
nyazzip
KT88

Postby Quad » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:06 am

separks wrote:My condolences. This reminds me that I need to protect mine, ASAP. Are there tasteful kiddie grills to protect our Fostex drivers?

Shannon

Here's my highly tasteful grill ;)

https://picasaweb.google.com/prasadb/SachikoSingleDriverSpeakers#5349601657364317554
Quad
KT88

Postby Shannon Parks » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:18 am

Not bad, Quad!

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Return to preBay