Wanted: junk dynaco quad cap or similar

barter, sell, and trade here first

Wanted: junk dynaco quad cap or similar

Postby jgf » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:27 am

I'd like a cheap (or swap) used dynaco style quad cap, ratings and electrical condition unimportant, but cosmetic condition half-decent, for a mark III ground-up rebuild I'm doing. Looking for a good candidate for a restuff, my plan is to stack up 2 big caps for the main B+ connection, can will make it look nice.

Potential swap items: various dynaco pc board parts (st 70, pas, sca-35)
and a few PECs and jack/terminal switches and such.
jgf

Postby Ty_Bower » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:57 pm

I've got these guys leftover from when I rebuilt my Mark III:

I deemed them no longer suitable for amplifier use, but I bet they would polish up just fine. You can cut the end off and restuff them, or just keep them in the hole for an authentic look. I'm too lazy to do anything with them.

Cheap could be arranged. Swaps might be even more fun.
"It's a different experience; the noise occlusion, crisp, clear sound, and defined powerful bass. Strong bass does not corrupt the higher frequencies, giving a very different overall feel of the sound, one that is, in my opinion, quite unique."
Ty_Bower
KT88

Postby Thatch » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:22 pm

There is a guy who rebuilds the large multi electrolytics. It ain't cheap but they will be the same cans stuffed with new caps and goo. It is a hard messy job and he earns his money. It is Biggs, or something like that. Get to work on Google and you will find him.I understand his work is worth every penny. I might have a NOS that would fit but although never used doesn't mean it will be any good. I don't have a tester,yet. Any suggestions shoot me a pm.
Thatch(my first post!)
Thatch

Postby jgf » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:11 pm

Ty,

Thanks, those look perfect for a restuff. I'll send you a message
so we can work out a deal!

Thanks,
John
jgf

Postby jgf » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:16 pm

Thatch,

Welcome! Thanks for the offer of the NOS cap, but I definitely going for modern parts on this build. I have seen somebody on the 'net offering the rebuild service, if I fail at this, maybe I'll send them off to be done by an expert.

John
jgf

Postby Thatch » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:28 pm

There is usually lots of room under the chassis and most folks don't remove the bottoms to peek inside, so adding a 7 point relay strip for ties and grounds isn't that big a deal and then you just buff up those with good looking twists and from the top you can't tell you have (possibly) upgraded. The lower the voltage you have to tie to the better electrolytics there are at lower prices. Nichicon has 3 or 4. Blackgate has more than one, Elna has some nice ones or you can go Auricaps, SECs or what ever you want. There are good high voltage Russian teflons and oils for coupling and I hope the selenium rectifier is long gone.
Its been a while but the MarkIIIs are the 6CA7s and the IVs are the 6550 mono blocks, right? I have had 5 ST-70s but only one of the Marks and it was a IV with GEC Lion KT88s in it. I sold the tubes for almost the price of the amp and the tubes were much easier to pack up.
Found I liked integrated better than power and went Fisher, but I polished a lot of the Dyna chassis and the cage is a Krylon Camouflage Brown if I remember. I used Mother's Chrome Ploish on the chassis and put a good car paste wax on after. Getting Dynas to look original is hard work, but they are pretty.
Thatch
Thatch

Postby dcgillespie » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:12 am

Thatch -- The MK II was a 50 watt mono block with EL34s, and the forerunner of the MK III. The MK III was a 60 watt mono block with (preferably) KT88s and later 6550s. The MK IV was a 40 watt mono block with EL34s, representing one half of a Stereo 70. The only other Dynaco amplifier using "big" tubes was the MK VI, a 120 watt mono block using PPP 8417s, and primarily intended for sound support service.

Dynaco's small amplifiers were the SCA-35 and ST-35, the former an integrated, and the latter, the smaller brother of the ST-70. Both use EL84/6BQ5 tubes.

Dave
dcgillespie
KT88

Return to preBay