FS: RCA MI-9449 Vintage LF Driver woofer speaker - $300

barter, sell, and trade here first

FS: RCA MI-9449 Vintage LF Driver woofer speaker - $300

Postby Dynaco6550 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:59 pm

RCA MI-9449 Hi-Fi Woofer/L.F. Driver Speaker!!

Pics in the CL Listing
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/ele/2258920382.html

FS: one (1) RCA 15" vintage low frequency driver speaker, model MI-9449.

The MI-9449 is the Alnico permanent-magnet speaker that was used in the legendary RCA 'Ubangi' theatre speaker cabinets of the 40's and 50's, and is a highly sought-after speaker among vintage Hi-Fi and theatre sound collectors. This specimen came out of a non-RCA speaker cabinet that was removed from a closed movie theatre a few years ago, and has been sitting in storage, until recently when I decided to place it up for sale after failing to find another one like it.

The speaker has a 30 ohm voice coil impedance, and has two heavy-duty Altec-style screw binding posts to connect to an amplifier. The cone (which I have been told is not original) is in excellent condition with no rips or tears- The light-colored spots you see in the pictures are specks of lint that have attached themselves to the cone, and there are a few dust and finger marks on the cone- I have not tried to remove them as I don't want to do anything that might damage the cone. The speaker basket is in good shape, a little dusty and all, but no apparent rusting or other damage. The only flaws that I can see on this speaker is that there is a VERY tiny (maybe about 1/16" diameter) hole in the surround area, but I doubt that this would have any ill effects on the sound. The other flaw is that there are a couple places on the front spacer gasket where part of one of the laminations has come off and another portion where the lamination has become loose. Once again this should have no detrimental effect on the speaker's performance.

I tested this speaker by hooking it up to my Dynaco ST70 and it worked great, with no audible rattles or scraping, and it had OK bass for a driver out of a cabinet (I am sure that the bass will be even better when it is installed into a proper cabinet!).

Asking $300 OBO

Prefer to sell in the Northern CA area, as I cannot afford to ship this.
Dynaco6550

Return to preBay