Milliammeter to die for? Set your bias current in style!

barter, sell, and trade here first

Milliammeter to die for? Set your bias current in style!

Postby Bob » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:01 am

A Sensitive Instrument Research Corp. model JW. This was something I bought at auction 35 years ago for the sole purpose of setting up the bias current on my then modified ST70. This is an edgewise panel mount meter, but is fully encased in a heavy cast metal housing finished in black wrinkle varnish. The scale is white with a gold mirror strip to minimize parallax when reading the 0-100 ma scale. The scale is marked in 2 ma increments. Zero adjust screw is on top and connection is made via a pair of terminal posts in the rear. It features a diamond pivot movement. And, it's got it's own serial number. This thing must weigh about 6-7 lbs. I always thought it would look great mounted in a walnut panel or in a piece of audio furniture of the period. Only date on this thing is 1960. For $100, I will carefully pack it and ship it (CONUS only, please) to your door.
Bob

Postby burnedfingers » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:13 am

I think that your price is a little bit on the high side on this one. I've seen them go for $25 on ebay. Its nothing special. I would suggest putting it on ebay.

Since most amplifiers generally have a small value resistor from cathode to ground it is customary to use a VOM and measure the voltage across the resistor and set the bias that way.
burnedfingers
KT88

Postby Blitzen » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:01 pm

Without a picture of it, kind of a hard sell.
Blitzen

Postby Ty_Bower » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:27 pm

Blitzen wrote:Without a picture...

I found a model S, but I'm still searching for JW.

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/a ... instrument
"It's a different experience; the noise occlusion, crisp, clear sound, and defined powerful bass. Strong bass does not corrupt the higher frequencies, giving a very different overall feel of the sound, one that is, in my opinion, quite unique."
Ty_Bower
KT88

Postby Bob » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:00 am

Ty_Bower wrote:
Blitzen wrote:Without a picture...

I found a model S, but I'm still searching for JW.

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/a ... instrument

The JW is actually a panel mount meter. I would be happy to send anyone interested some pictures. Just PM me with your email address.
Bob

pictures now on line in my gallery

Postby Bob » Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:38 pm

I've posted some pix of the JW meter that are now in my gallery.
Bob

price reduced

Postby Bob » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:50 am

I forgot I still had this meter and perhaps my original price was unrealistic. How about $50 shipped to CONUS?
Bob

Return to preBay