WANTED: Grommes Little Jewel Amplifier

barter, sell, and trade here first

WANTED: Grommes Little Jewel Amplifier

Postby repeatclicks » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:35 am

The subject line says it all. Ideally after an LJ-6, but let me know what you have.

Thanks,

-Adam
repeatclicks

Postby repeatclicks » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:50 pm

Nevermind, got one.
repeatclicks

Postby EWBrown » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:01 pm

Good on you, for finding one of these!

As I recall, these were available as factory built, and as kit amps, and some of the US retailers like Lafayette Radio and Radio Shack (way, way back, when it was still a good electronics parts source) sold these in both forms.

I have a rather "rough looking" one, but it has been totally stripped, gutted, sanded, repainted, and rebuilt as the basis for a PP 6V6GT guitar amp, loosely based the Fender "Deluxe" circuitry.

It was a flea market "cheapie" which some original owner had made a valiant, but comletely unsuccessful attempt at repairing. Fortunately, the important parts (transformers) were still good. Everythinjg else inside, including the pots and tube sockets were in poor condition. Amazingly enough the tubes were in very good condition, except for the 5Y3GT, which had the locator pin broken off, and the tube (of course) was inserted incorrectly :( =:o as I received it.

/ed B
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby repeatclicks » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:16 pm

Yeah Im glad I got one too! Should be here in the next couple of weeks. Mine will be coming with the top cage, an optional accessory back then! I never see them with the cages. Will have to go through it and eventually replace the electrolytics, caps and resistors... all in good time!
repeatclicks

Postby Cygnus X1 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:52 am

Here's a "Custom" I converted to a Tweed Deluxe 5C3 for a friend.

We were debating restoration and he said he has plenty of little monoblocks so...

Cygnus X1

Postby EWBrown » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:53 pm

Mine is the later version, which used 12AX7s for the gain tubes. Wasn't (and still isn't) nearly as nice looking as your example.

/ed B
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby repeatclicks » Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:52 pm

Yeah I think thats the LJ-2. Mine is the LJ-6 with the 12ax7s and 6v6GTs. Can't wait to get it!
repeatclicks

Return to preBay