My New Speakers

barter, sell, and trade here first

My New Speakers

Postby SDS-PAGE » Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:10 pm

So I acquired a pair of mint Martin Logan CLS speakers today.They look pretty imposing with 28" wide and 5' high. What amps should I run these with? What would be the minimum wattage to really hear the virtue of these electrostatic monsters? They are rated at 86 dB/W/m at 6-8 ohms. I want to get a taste of high power amp coupled to low eff speakers. Thanks,

Min
SDS-PAGE
KT88

Postby Ty_Bower » Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:01 pm

Start with a pair of Dynaco Mark III. When that's not enough power, work your way up from there.
"It's a different experience; the noise occlusion, crisp, clear sound, and defined powerful bass. Strong bass does not corrupt the higher frequencies, giving a very different overall feel of the sound, one that is, in my opinion, quite unique."
Ty_Bower
KT88

Re: My New Speakers

Postby ChrisAlbertson » Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:36 pm

SDS-PAGE wrote:So I acquired a pair of mint Martin Logan CLS speakers today.They look pretty imposing with 28" wide and 5' high. What amps should I run these with? What would be the minimum wattage to really hear the virtue of these electrostatic monsters? They are rated at 86 dB/W/m at 6-8 ohms. I want to get a taste of high power amp coupled to low eff speakers. Thanks,

Min

I've got the same problem, a pair of "low eff" speakers. I'm going to need a minimum of 100 WPC for my old infinies. I think you could get by with 60 WPC.
ChrisAlbertson

Return to preBay