Aikido 6SN7 octal preamp w/ Welborne Labs PSU

barter, sell, and trade here first

Aikido 6SN7 octal preamp w/ Welborne Labs PSU

Postby LowRedMoon » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:47 am

Dual Mono octal Aikido preamp with MANY 6SN7 tubes $200

This is a simple DIY job that includes professionally made circuit boards. I put it together at a time when I was sampling many types of preamps and building them quickly, so the case is not very fancy - just a Hammond aluminum chassis.
Parts:
- 2 Glass Audio made octal Aikido circuit boards with K40y PIO and Auricap output capacitors (selectable)
- Welborne Labs PS8B dual power supply (not PS8 single) with regulated filament supply http://www.welbornelabs.com/ps8.htm
- 2 Hammond 269EX power transformers
- PEC 2W hot molded carbon volume pots
- A quad of new production Tung-Sol 6SN7 tubes PLUS several pairs of old U.S. made good-to-NOS testing 6SN7's for your tube rolling pleasure.

This preamp does sound quite good.
One thing: when I built it, I was short on 220uF caps for the power supply, so the first cap is a Xicon 47uF that's just patched in. You should put 220uF caps in for better performance.
The heater supply is also elevated with respect to cathode.

This item, though in good shape, is being sold as a DIY job. Please only buy it if you are familiar with working with tube electronics. I may not have time to coach you through any modifications you may want to make to it. I'm moving soon - which is why I'm selling my stuff off.
Please feel free to ask questions. PayPal is preferred. Original cost of parts estimated to be $450+

Adam

LowRedMoon

Postby tomlang » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:17 am

Unless this is already sold or someone else has dibs, I will buy this, please send me an address to paypal to.
tomlang

Postby EWBrown » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:38 am

Darn! I missed it, but then I know that I have way too much tubestuff cluttering the joint, already...

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese... ;-)

Unless I'm missing something in the under-chassis view, it looks like the addition of a power switch and a fuse would be the first thing I'd recommend to do...

/ed B
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby LowRedMoon » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:35 am

The power switch and fuse are contained in the filtered IEC assembly (view lower picture, lower right side). There's also a power light, but I removed the bulb because it was brighter than the tubes :) . And hey, if the tubes are lit, we know it's on - no need for a power light, right?
Thanks for your interest, guys.

Adam
LowRedMoon

Postby Slartibartfast » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:36 pm

EWBrown wrote:Darn! I missed it, but then I know that I have way too much tubestuff cluttering the joint, already...

PM sent
Slartibartfast
KT88

Return to preBay