How to send payments via PayPal, without paying the fee

barter, sell, and trade here first

How to send payments via PayPal, without paying the fee

Postby EWBrown » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:50 pm

I posted this under Sal's ST70 for sale, but it deserves a topic of its own, as it is very useful for our purposes here.

I learned this one a few months ago, and it works just fine, and is 100% Pay Pal approved. I've used it several times, and no bothersome fees. Note, this won't work for E_bay transactions, just for personal money transfers.

Details are here:

http://www.insulators.info/general/paypal.htm

And the three screen shots:

HTH

/ed B
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby DeathRex » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:08 am

Aw yea, that is awsome. Gotta copy this over to ARF.
DeathRex
KT88

Postby Rex Everything » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:40 pm

Thanks!
Rex Everything

Postby Geek » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:58 pm

Careful doing this!

I've had fellow merchants have their accounts siezed for it (and several thousand dollars in it) because depending on state/province you're in, it can be considered criminal fraud.

If someone sends me money for a product this way, I will refund it. I'd rather pay the fees than lose my commercial account and have a Mountie showing up at my door.

Cheers!
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Postby EWBrown » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:04 am

I've had fellow merchants have their accounts siezed for it (and several thousand dollars in it) because depending on state/province you're in, it can be considered criminal fraud.

The key word here is "merchants", as in commercial businesses, and not individual personal transactions. I've used this for paying for, and being paid for various small personal transactions.

As mentioned elsewhere, this method is intended for "personal" payments, (owed money, money transfers, living expenses, gifts, etc) and not for dealing with commercial businesses or e-bay transactions. Also, it is not meant to be used (or abused) for paying large sums on a recurrent basis. (such as paying rent or lease payments) It is intended to be an occasional convenience, and not a means of circumventing the fees on a repetitive basis.

If they (Pay Pal) didn't want this method to be used, they would not have made it available.

For an example, it would be OK to use it to purchase one of SorenJ's orSal's amplifiers (presuming that he does not have a commercial or e-bay "store" account), but not OK to purchase one of Shannon's or Gregg's boards, as they have commercial / store Pay Pal accounts.

/ed B
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby Geek » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:49 pm

Excellent clarification, Ed Image

Cheers!
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Postby EWBrown » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:21 pm

Since this one was originated by the webmaster, a few months ago, over at www.insulators.info , this "proper usage" topic has been bounced around quite a bit. Some insulator "dealers" freely use the no fee method, and others will not. It's mostly a matter of "doing the right thing" versus "doing what one can get away with".

I've bought sold a few small items (no finished amps) thru DIYtube using the no-fee method.

Works great for birthday / Christmas gifts, too ;-) Just don't attempt to use it to pay off a car loan...

/ed B
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Return to preBay