FS(?): DIY ST35

barter, sell, and trade here first

FS(?): DIY ST35

Postby nineno » Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:26 pm

I am considering selling my DIY ST35 amplifier that I build last fall.

The amp is built with the second revision of Shannon's board. The amp is working flawlessly, and I'm not sure that I want to sell it yet, but I am going to build EI clones when they are available and I would like to loosen up some money for that endevor so that I can build the mono blocks without sparing any expense (resonable singnal path "boutique" compnents, chassis parts, etc).

I have all the recipts, etc for this amp. The board is made with all the recomented components from the instruction sheets with very minor exception.

The unit has a simple passive volume control, warmer circuit switch, RCA inputs on the front, binding post outputs for 4 and 8 Ohm outputs on the back, AC line jack on the back.

The unit was buit with Hammond 1650E outputs (which have a dedicated 16ohm tap that i'm just using for the feedback circuit right now), and 276x power transfromer.

The unit uses very common but nice sounding Electro-harmonix EL84s, an EH12AX7, and a JAN Philips ECG 6189 (US made).

There are several places that the amplifier could be tweeked. The RCA jacks could be upgraded to something much nicer than the cheap drawn and plated copper jacks, as well as cap upgrades.

The chassis is made out of kiln dried oak. The top of the chassis is half oak and half aluminum. The aluminum plate is 10ga (0.121" thick), painted a textured black, the visable fasteners are brassl, the transformers are dual tone grey hammer tone finish.

There are photos elsewhere on the site in the thread i started Sept. 29th when i finished the amplifer.
http://www.diytube.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=82

If anyone would like more pictures I'd be happy to send them.

To be honest, I probably want too much for my amp, since I'd like to recoupe my parts costs which puts the total cost around $350. Since most everyone that uses these sites is more knowedgeable than me about hollowstate, and entire capable of building one of these amps I would even suggest building your own over buying a pre-built one, but if someone just want to get there hands on a working amp, this might be a consideration.

Any thoughts on how much one of these would be worth, complete and working, on ebay?

drew*
nineno

Re: FS(?): DIY ST35

Postby Shannon Parks » Wed Feb 25, 2004 7:04 pm

nineno wrote:Any thoughts on how much one of these would be worth, complete and working, on ebay?

drew*

nineno,

Looks like Roy sold one recently for $338 on eBay - http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=39783&item=3076281530

You've put so much work into it, and it looks so nice, I would keep it!

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Return to preBay