FS: Welborne Remote Control Attenuator Kit - SOLD

barter, sell, and trade here first

FS: Welborne Remote Control Attenuator Kit - SOLD

Postby ashok » Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:36 am

Hi everyone,

My Welborne labs remote-controlled stepped attenuator kit is for sale. I had bought the kit with the intention of combining my 2-channel audio setup and 2-channel HT setup, but that plan has been shelved for the moment. For my audio setup, I do not want the remote-control function. So, the kit is for sale. More information about the attenuator can be found at http://www.welbornelabs.com/remote.htm.

I am asking US$170.00 for it. Paypal charges included. Shipping via USPS Priority Mail is also included. US shipping only.

I purchased the RCA2 kit - 5 unbalanced stereo inputs, 1 unbalanced stereo output, with the Caddock resistor upgrade. The kit includes:

1. IR Control board and components to populate it.
2. Source selector board and components.
3. Attenuator board and components.
4. Assembly manual (a little dog-eared from my reading it back and forth a few times. Also has the notes that I made on it).
5. Remote control with batteries.

You also get:

6. 5VDC, 2.4A switching supply - this is not the one supplied by Welborne. It is something I found in my office that nobody was using. My DMM indicates an output voltage of 5.1VDC.
7. 5 feet each of red and black 18 ga. Welborne labs hookup wire. This wire has teflon insulation. The conductor is stranded copper with silver plating.

No soldering has been done on the boards. The LED display board is not included. Each board is in its own plastic bag. The components associated with each board are in separate plastic baggies with part numbers clearly marked.

The attenuator is of series-shunt design. There is one series resistor in the signal path; its value is 10 kOhm. The shunt resistor, whose value is varied in steps to achieve attenuation of the input signal, has a maximum value of 50 kOhm.

The minimum impedance that the attenuator will present to a source is 10 kOhm (volume turned down fully). This number will go up as the volume is turned up. In keeping with the 1:10 source-to-load impedance ratio thumb-rule, your sources should have an output impedance of 1 kOhm or less.

The output impedance of the attenuator will vary from a minimum of 0 Ohm (volume turned down fully) to a maximum of 10kOhm paralleled with 50kOhm = 8.33kOhm (volume turned up fully, output impedance of source neglected).

Welborne recommends the 10K attenuator for most tube and solid-state applications.

Some notes:

1. Two of the PCBs in the kit do not include stand-offs.
2. One of the PCBs was missing a couple of parts. Ron made good on them, and I now have the missing parts in the kit.
3. There is no schematic. Ron does not supply one with the kit.
4. You will have to supply a chassis, RCA jacks, tools, solder etc.
5. This is the first time I am selling anything via the Internet. So, I do not have any seller-type feedback on Ebay or Audiogon. However, I have been a DIYTUBE member since early 2004, use an ST-35 as my main amplifier, and will do my best to ensure that the transaction is a smooth one.
6. If you are in the Ann Arbor, MI area, you are welcome to pick it up.

Thanks for looking. Please PM me if interested.

Regards,

Ashok
ashok

Return to preBay