Diy tube amp recommandation

ask your general tube related questions here

Diy tube amp recommandation

Postby franciscano » Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:39 pm

Hello everybody,

I would like to build an tube amp for my bookshelf speakers. I currently own a pair of Wharfedale 220, sensitivity 86db w/m. I currently listen trough a Yamaha as301.

I have narrowed to these Dynaco st70 (vta board) with kt88, OddBlock kt88.

I usually listen at lower volume, i think I'm not dialing the knob more than 11 a clock as the speakers are about 1m away from me.

Could you please recommend one from your experience ? I am interested in sonic quality and the ability to drive the speakers.

Any other amp suggestions are welcome, as long as the build is well documented :D.
Thanks
franciscano

Re: Diy tube amp recommandation

Postby DeathRex » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:10 am

Do you have a preamp?

I really like integrateds, but I don't know of any kits. A cheap integrated is a Eico ST-40 or ST-70. You can find them used on ebay, but you'll have to replace most parts inside.
At first I wanted to be a ET. Now I are one.
DeathRex
KT88

Postby franciscano » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:08 am

I don't have a preamp, for the moment I'm going to use as a source, the pc sound card. From the specs i see it can put up to 2Vrms out. If it is true, i believe it would be enough for the time being.
franciscano

Postby Geek » Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:53 pm

Hi,

I'mma Wharfedale dealer and stock the 220's. We've driven those from 10W/channel tube amps. A little integrated SCA35-or-ilk would do fine for a small room, like an office or bedroom, or lower volume (as you said).

Cheers!
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Postby paart » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:08 pm

I second “Geeks” recommendations. An EL84 output tube amp, delivering 12 to 20 watts output should be sufficient for the conditions you describe.
Due to the nature of hearing, power and loudspeakers, keep in mind that to double the maximum perceived sound level (volume) provided by a 10 Watt amplifier, a 100 Watt amplifier would be needed, not a 20 Watt amplifier.
paart

Postby franciscano » Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:28 am

Hi, if a 10-20w amp could drive the Wharfedale on low level volume, i think i'll stick with the ST70 amp. It should have plenty of power, and i can drive them in triode mode too.
franciscano

Return to tube 101