Testing Rectifier Tube

ask your general tube related questions here

Testing Rectifier Tube

Postby skidave » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:56 am

I'm looking for general advice when testing rectifier tubes. I have a 5AR4 that may or may not be good. I seem to recall it is an out of box failure.

I have a Hickok 800A tube tester. I know how to set it up and test the tube, but I remember reading somewhere a bad rectifier tube can ruin a good tube tester. Can anyone confirm this is correct?

Is there a safe way / best practice to test a rectifier tube. I really don't want to put it in an amp and check it either.

Thanks.
skidave

Re: Testing Rectifier Tube

Postby battradio » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:55 pm

Check it for shorts with an ohmmeter first , if has no continuity , it has a bad filament , if the plates are sorted to the filament its bad throw it away , if it passes that , test in the tester as a 5AR4 for shorts without any filament voltage , the filament winding should read shorted but no other shorts . Now test for shorts with the filament voltage present . if ok test it for emission .

http://frank.pocnet.net/sheets/035/5/5AR4.pdf
Mark
battradio
KT88

Postby Geek » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:15 pm

skidave wrote:.... a bad rectifier tube can ruin a good tube tester.

Actually the saying amongst professionals is a bad tube will separate the garbage tube testers from the ones worth keeping (lol)
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Postby skidave » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:26 pm

Thanks for the info battradio.

Geek wrote:Actually the saying amongst professionals is a bad tube will separate the garbage tube testers from the ones worth keeping (lol)

Wife said no money in the hobby fund currently. I don't want to find out the hard way :'(
skidave

Postby LW1DSE » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:03 pm

My idea would be to energize the heater with an isolated transformer, and then try to rectify the output of a 110/110V isolating transformer, into an incandescent lamp, of such power that no overload the rectifier. The lamp will be bright at medium lite, because of the half wave. If no light, the rectifier is dead, if arcing or too low light, then the rectifier is out of service. So crude as effective.

Sorry if my English isn't too good.

Be very careful when doing such testing with high voltages. Keep a hand in your pocket.
If anything can go wrong, it will.
If anything just cannot go wrong, it will anyway.
If there is a possibility of several things going wrong, the one that will cause the most damage will be the one to go wrong.
LW1DSE

Location: Barrio Garay, Almirante Brown, Buenos AIres, Argentina

Return to tube 101