DIY Triodes

ask your general tube related questions here

Re: DIY Triodes

Postby battradio » Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:45 am

Just a random question , why not a 45 or 71 if your wanting to make a triode , it wouldn't be that much harder , i understand it is a learning process and you having fun learning , but a 26 is such a mundane tube , even a 30 would be better . A 30 would be right at home in test tube glass envelope .
Mark
battradio
KT88

Postby George Schmermund » Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:04 pm

Thank you for the question. I'm using the 26 because that was the one that I dissected first for this project. A 71A and 45 are already dismantled and spread out on the bench. The parts are about the same except for the grids and filaments. I'll be replacing those parts anyway, so the order doesn't matter. Most of what makes them different from each other is the filament emission and the plate dissipation.

The new filaments will all be made with a custom type of multifilar thoriated tungsten that can be carburized and activated to produce high emission and long lifetimes. The plates will be the only original part to be used from any of the tubes, so it doesn't really matter where I start.
George Schmermund

Postby burnedfingers » Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:22 am

George,

It seems you have been amusing yourself with another Diy thread. You should have put a link to diyaudio.com May 11,2015 6:01PM Testing DIY Triodes. Nice little thread there.
burnedfingers
KT88

Postby George Schmermund » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:07 pm

Gentleman,

Thank you for your gracious acceptance of the ideas that I have tried to share with you. Your patients and helpfulness in these forums has been an inspiration to me. As much as I'd like to stay and hang out with you, I fell that it's time to move on. I shall continue to travel the road least taken.

Best wishes to all of you in this New Year!

George
George Schmermund

Making his own tubes (video)

Postby EWBrown » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:03 pm

The titles are in French, but it is pretty easy to figure them out...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzyXMEp ... detailpage
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Previous

Return to tube 101