Cap for your tube amp

ask your general tube related questions here

Cap for your tube amp

Postby johnnyrocket » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:27 pm

There is quite a selection of capacitors out there. PIO, aluminum, copper, silver. I've also seen a ton of the Russian caps listed on ebay, but not sure if I should trust those listings.

If you had to choose a coupling cap for your tube amp right now, which brand would you go with?
johnnyrocket

Re: Cap for your tube amp

Postby Geek » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:00 am

Panasonic ECW(F).
Available in production at Digikey or Mouser.
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Postby azazello » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:13 am

Russian coupling caps FT /ФТ/.
Projects: OTL 6AS7 Gen, Electric, SEs 2A3 RCA, 300B JJ, 6S4S, 4P1L, EL11 Telefunken, 6AS7 RCA, 6S33S, 6S41S, 6S19P, headphone ampl. OTL Loftin White 6AS7 RCA....SE E84L&E80CC Siemens&Tel-n.
azazello
KT88

Postby tomlang » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:22 am

Geek wrote:Panasonic ECW(F).
Available in production at Digikey or Mouser.

Without a doubt!
tomlang

Postby DeathRex » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:44 am

I have the Russian K42Y and the Panasonic ECWF. For paper in oil, I would get the Russian, for polypropylene, I would get the Panasonic ECWF. The Panasonics are a lot smaller than the Russians.
At first I wanted to be a ET. Now I are one.
DeathRex
KT88

Postby johnnyrocket » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:20 pm

I'm looking into those Panasonic caps. Thank you all for that suggestion.

In most circuits you might have 2 or 3 small value caps before you get to the main output coupling cap and its supporting electrolytic. Did I say that right?

So for those small value caps, .01uF and such, most of the time I see Wima's. Does it make much difference if these small value caps are ceramic, polyester or polypropylene? Are these new panasonic's a good fit in this area?
johnnyrocket

Postby DeathRex » Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:28 pm

johnnyrocket wrote:I'm looking into those Panasonic caps. Thank you all for that suggestion.

In most circuits you might have 2 or 3 small value caps before you get to the main output coupling cap and its supporting electrolytic. Did I say that right?

So for those small value caps, .01uF and such, most of the time I see Wima's. Does it make much difference if these small value caps are ceramic, polyester or polypropylene? Are these new panasonic's a good fit in this area?

You would have a electrolytic in the power supply for filtering, or they are used for bypassing cathode resistors for small signal or output tubes.
For almost all audio coupling caps I would use polypropylene over polyester, and absolutely not ceramic. Most Wimas I've seen are used for PCB installation, where the cap is installed in a red plastic box with short leads. The Panasonic cap has long leads and much more friendly to point to point installations.

http://conradhoffman.com/cap_measurements_100606.html
At first I wanted to be a ET. Now I are one.
DeathRex
KT88

Return to tube 101