Meditation over channel separation

ask your general tube related questions here

Meditation over channel separation

Postby soundbrigade » Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:01 am

We had a great DIY meeting a week ago. Those social activities are, I have noticed, more social that sonic; always end up talking with people.
One subject was how it came that a tape recorded CD sounded "better" than the CD itself. A cassette tape requires a special metaloxide mix and a very good tape deck to "sound" outrages. And with a few electronic conversions on the way from the purity of digital sound to the noisy analog ...??? (???)

One idea was that, when listening to analogue media - LPs, cassettes or whatever - you never get perfect channel separation. Signals from left to right sneaks into the neighboring channel, and that leakage sort of gives the listener a sense of being more present in the recording studio. When playing a CD, channel separation is 100% and you never IRL experience a flute playing in your left ear and a solo guitar in your right only.

Are we on the wrong track or could we have found something here? :P
Magnus

"It is always more difficult to fight against faith than against knowledge."
soundbrigade
KT88

Re: Meditation over channel separation

Postby Geek » Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:12 am

Hence why vinyl is coming back in a major way as sounding more natural... even by professional sound recording engineers.

A few of our customers are recording engineer guys from Vancouver for some BIG named bands and meander the 2-hour drive to get vinyl... and a good european style coffee :))
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Postby tomlang » Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:48 am

Regarding all this new vinyl. Is it a fair statement to say that all or nearly all new recordings are digitally recorded and mixed?

If that is true, then the vinyl is depicting (or trying to depict) that recording with all its inherent distortions.

So, isn't buying a new recording on vinyl akin to running the digital signal thru an "effects box"? And if the "effects" that vinyl are so appealing why isn't there an algorithm to "fake it"?

Just an observation. Maybe I am off track here.
tomlang

Postby DeathRex » Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:42 am

My phone has "tube amp effect". Just make a app that slightly mixes the channels and sell it for $9.95.
At first I wanted to be a ET. Now I are one.
DeathRex
KT88

Postby Geek » Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:34 am

tomlang wrote:Is it a fair statement to say that all or nearly all new recordings are digitally recorded and mixed?

No, actually. There are several pressings proudly sporting the symbols "AAA" or "DAA". The Stanley Turrentine repress is "AAA" and one of our hottest sellers (even at $55 a pop) for example and MAN can you hear the difference over the CD.

I try to not be biased either, as vinyl is "just another format" to me, technically.
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Postby soundbrigade » Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:16 am

DeathRex wrote:My phone has "tube amp effect". Just make a app that slightly mixes the channels and sell it for $9.95.

I've seen seen a single iPhoney-speaker sold as "stereo speaker for you iPhoney" ... (sick)
Magnus

"It is always more difficult to fight against faith than against knowledge."
soundbrigade
KT88

Postby Geek » Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:31 pm

soundbrigade wrote:
DeathRex wrote:My phone has "tube amp effect". Just make a app that slightly mixes the channels and sell it for $9.95.

I've seen seen a single iPhoney-speaker sold as "stereo speaker for you iPhoney" ... (sick)

(lol) (lol) (lol)
-= Gregg =-
Geek
KT88

Postby Auricle » Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:45 pm

The Stanley Turrentine repress is "AAA" and one of our hottest sellers (even at $55 a pop) for example and MAN can you hear the difference over the CD.

Which Turrentine album is that?
Auricle

Postby Geek » Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:04 am

I'll have to check when I get back to the store on Tuesday. Can't find the cover on Google Images...
-= Gregg =-
Geek
KT88

Postby Auricle » Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:07 pm

Hi again,

The Stanley Turrentine repress is "AAA" and one of our hottest sellers (even at $55 a pop)...

I'll have to check when I get back to the store on Tuesday.

Did you manage to get the name of the Turpentine album? Thanks.
Auricle

Postby Geek » Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:06 am

11PM Wednesday and power just got restored to the store since Tuesday from one of the strongest wind storms ever recorded in my area (sick)

"That's Where It's At"
Bluenote 84096

-= Gregg =-
Geek
KT88

Postby Auricle » Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:33 am

Thanks!

After that amount of time without power I imagine you are going into withdrawal and are now about to spin a few tunes.
Auricle

Postby Geek » Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:57 am

The area where my home is wasn't due to come on until Saturday, midnight. Just came on 0500 local.

Now I can't sleep :/

*spins tunes* [:)
-= Gregg =-
Geek
KT88

Return to tube 101