coupling capacitors

ask your general tube related questions here

coupling capacitors

Postby 6B4G » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:17 am

Guys this is a topic that has had me stunned for a while now and I'm looking for the light at the end of the tunnel.
Everyone has there ways of looking at this issue, but, when it comes to push and shove there are many factors that
will determine the outcome and the one thing that I find that is a constant is the price.
Unfortunately we all were not born with that elusive silver spoon but I'll be damned if I'll let them have all the fun, so
there must be affordable options out there.
Teflon VCaps seem to be all the rage and everyone that has used them tested them are of the same opinion, "they are great",
I've used a fair few different caps in the past but not enough to have a good conclusion on what is better (my ears aren't what they use to be)
Some of the ones I've used are Mundorf MCap Supreme, Obbligato Gold Premium Caps, Jensen Aluminium Foil, Auricap XO, Mallory 150M, Vishay MKP1839HQ,
and let's not forget the Russian teflon FT-3 grenades.
Could you shed some light on this, let's say that the budget is for 1 X 0.22uF 630V+
6B4G
KT88

Re: coupling capacitors

Postby 20to20 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:25 am

$1 or less for coupling caps.

Headed for Tishomingo to sing in a can...
20to20
KT88

Postby DeathRex » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:10 am

Russian, panasonic, CDE.
At first I wanted to be a ET. Now I are one.
DeathRex
KT88

Postby Geek » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:50 am

Panasonic ECW(F) fan myself :))
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Postby jwhitmor » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:27 pm

There is a "golden oldie" that almost no one talks about any more - Polystyrene Capacitors. Unfortunately they max out at about 0.01 mfd. @ 630 volts. You can use them to bypass a polypropylene film cap (I like "JFX Premium"). As far as "I" am concerned, that pair sounds as good as any $50 capacitor that employs some esoteric material, (like papyrus from the dead sea scrolls). The only shortcoming of a Polystyrene capacitor is, they can't stand the heat. Keep them cool, and I think you will like what you hear. The pair (polystyrene + polypropylene) will set you back about $4.50, or just use the JFX Premium alone, and it still sounds great for about $2.00 each.

J. [:)
If it is not making X-rays, your B+ is too low.
jwhitmor

Postby Geek » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:10 pm

Hi,

jwhitmor wrote:Unfortunately they max out at about 0.01 mfd. @ 630 volts.

You can get Russian polystyrene caps bigger for cheap as long as they last. A mate sent me some 100n @ 630V with a 0.5% tolerance that costed him ~$2 ea.

Cheers!
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Postby DeathRex » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:23 am

A while back I accidently bought some Russian K73-2 mylar PETP in oil caps. I usually get the K42 but he had them for a good price. They are a lower voltage (400 vs 500) but same green color and size as the K42. I put all of them in a zip lock and never planned on using them. Some reviewers haven't liked them, but haven't seem to have actually tried them, they are just going off someone else's review. Others that have tried them liked them, along with the dry versions, K73-16, and K73-22. I saw Audio Note started using mylar instead of paper, because they were having too many failures with the paper in oil. Could most capacitor reviews be as worthless as Machina Dynamica's Teleportation Tweak?
At first I wanted to be a ET. Now I are one.
DeathRex
KT88

Postby Geek » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:28 am

DeathRex wrote:Could most capacitor reviews be as worthless as Machina Dynamica's Teleportation Tweak?

Yes ;)

There's science: http://diyaudioprojects.com/mirror/memb ... /caps.html

And there's your own ears.

IMO, nothing else matters.

Cheers!
-= Gregg =-
Geek
KT88

Postby battradio » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:56 pm

I do like foil caps over metalized , because tin and copper foil caps can have the leads soldered to foil and not just crimped which will corrode over time and increase the ESR
Mark
battradio
KT88

Postby soundbrigade » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:42 am

Plastic ones - polyprop - from RIFA could be a good choice.

Remember that non-plastic caps don't have the densely 'winded' cores, which may cause the foils to vibrate and result in tons of 3rd harmonic distortion (sick) . Plastic caps are heated up to make the plastic shrink and give a very compact core that don't behave like the PIOs for instance.
I've even seen handwound caps (Duelund), but that sounds like worst kind of snakeoil.
Magnus

"It is always more difficult to fight against faith than against knowledge."
soundbrigade
KT88

Return to tube 101