old radio

ask your general tube related questions here

old radio

Postby nyazzip » Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:53 pm

picked up a Grundig 2120 tabletop radio a couple weeks ago at Goodwill and finally got to plug it in. i brought it up to 80v on the variac over the course of 20 minutes and it started to get pretty stinky so i quit while i was ahead. it was labelled as "needs repair", and had a blown mains fuse. guess i'll have to do surgery this winter and replace the selenium rectifier(i think thats what it has anyway) and caps. cool looking radio, with tuning indicator tube. at 80v i wasnt able to determine anything just by looking, other than the fact that a little bulb lights. looks like a nighmare to remove from the cabinet, which needs to be done to access the guts
hope everyone had a good summer. cool and wet in chicago, on average. lots of skeeters! (stop)
nyazzip
KT88

Re: old radio

Postby DeathRex » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:04 pm

I have 4 or 5 grundigs but not one that new, looks to be 1960,61. If you don't have one, a dim bulb tester can save a power transformer.
At first I wanted to be a ET. Now I are one.
DeathRex
KT88

Re: old radio

Postby nyazzip » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:03 pm

thanks...after power down i discovered that the power tranny had gotten pretty hot, and the laquers on it may have been the cause of the smells...new mains fuse survived though, perhaps it is still ok. my initial bet was that someone had already smoked it, so i didn't take much precaution. if the iron survives it could make a nice little 5w SE.
from a very brief google search i was under the impression that the 2120 was late '50s but i trust your input. cheers
nyazzip
KT88

Return to tube 101