Interesting g2 feed

ask your general tube related questions here

Interesting g2 feed

Postby AmadeusMozart » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:00 pm

EL34-UL-Special.png
EL34-UL-Special.png (15.17 KiB) Viewed 3029 times
Just thought I give this link about an interesting way to set up UL on a non UL output. I suspect that it can (easily?) be done with some of the high voltage mosfets (e.g. IRF820)

http://www.single-ended.com/6550amp.htm
AmadeusMozart

Re: Interesting g2 feed

Postby Geek » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:15 pm

Here's a SS version of an artificial UL tap:
http://geek.scorpiorising.ca/GeeK_ZonE/ ... pic=4706.0

Tube version is simpler.
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Postby AmadeusMozart » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:50 pm

Geek wrote:Here's a SS version of an artificial UL tap:
http://geek.scorpiorising.ca/GeeK_ZonE/ ... pic=4706.0

Tube version is simpler.

Thanks, interesting. He's doing a lot more though - reducing the B+ on the G2 while maintaining the UL plus using feedback. Do not know if I would care for that complexity. Actually if it comes to this one does not need tubes, a tube can be mimicked with solid state too. Thanks to a guy who has not posted for some time on DIYaudio.

174905d1275713755-most-linear-triode-strapped-pentode-ssschadeode-benchtest.png
174905d1275713755-most-linear-triode-strapped-pentode-ssschadeode-benchtest.png (6.13 KiB) Viewed 3018 times
AmadeusMozart

Postby Geek » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:19 pm

AmadeusMozart wrote:He's doing a lot more though - reducing the B+ on the G2 while maintaining the UL plus using feedback.

Ummm, that's what the one I linked does too ;)
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Postby AmadeusMozart » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:23 am

Geek wrote:
AmadeusMozart wrote:He's doing a lot more though - reducing the B+ on the G2 while maintaining the UL plus using feedback.

Ummm, that's what the one I linked does too ;)

Apologies - I was not clear. Your post shows a design with considerable voltage drop on g2, more so than the one I linked to. My link can be relatively easy replaced with a mosfet. However reverse voltages may make that protection is required.

I want to keep things robust and easily fixed - the design I linked to has a flaw: the filament of the UL tube needs to be at high enough voltage to prevent a flash over between cathode and filament.
AmadeusMozart

Postby 20to20 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:40 am

I'm having trouble coming up with an answer to "Why?" on this one.

If someone wanted to experiment with a "retrofit" where a new UL transformer was out of the question, then would the cost/benefit seem reasonabe on paper before it was built?

This seems like one of those "because I can" ideas that would not be built from scratch if a good UL SE tranny was available from the start. It's kind of a Rube Goldberg machine on paper.

Headed for Tishomingo to sing in a can...
20to20
KT88

Postby AmadeusMozart » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:53 pm

I do not recall the website but it reported a study that many pentodes / beam power tetrodes like/need to have the g2 voltage lower than the plate voltage. This is one way achieving it, another is just using the UL tap on the transformer with either some zener configuration or some gas voltage stabilising tube (OA2 etc). Both have sonic impacts and have a critical selection of capacitors.

The first schematic is for experimenting with different levels of the tap, standard is 43% and that will give the least distortion. Another standard perception is that at 20% you'll get the most output. However this varies from tube to tube, beam power tubes leaning more towards the 20% for nicest sound and pentodes more towards 40%. There are even remarks that pentodes are not as good in UL and only beam power tubes should be using UL.

It is just that someone who wants to experiment has now the opportunity to do without having to buy a multitude of transformers.
AmadeusMozart

Return to tube 101