Help identifying this tube device

ask your general tube related questions here

Help identifying this tube device

Postby dudegibbs » Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:41 pm

Hello,
Can anybody tell me what this thing is? Is it an amplifier? it has 3 tubes. two are 6C5 and one is 6N7. It also has two switches in front: a single pole switch and a large double switch next to two pots. indicator bulb also in the front. I appreciate any help on this and if I'm asking in the wrong place can someone redirect me to the best place to be asking this?
Attachments
photo(1).JPG
photo(1).JPG (638.61 KiB) Viewed 3053 times
photo(2).JPG
front end
photo(2).JPG (398.5 KiB) Viewed 3053 times
photo.JPG
photo.JPG (414.01 KiB) Viewed 3053 times
dudegibbs

Re: Help identifying this tube device

Postby Geek » Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:24 pm

Intercomm of some sort pops in my head here (???)
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Postby battradio » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:14 pm

It is late 30's early 40's tubes , caps and resistors with 20's wiring and binding posts , nothing that looks like an audio coupling cap most likely an RF amp of some type . Do the electrolytics have date codes on the and what working voltages are they .The fuse holder looks to new for the rest of it . is one of the Rheostats connected to the tube filaments ?

Arf would be the place to ask over in tubes and parts http://antiqueradios.com/forums/
Mark
battradio
KT88

Postby dudegibbs » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:11 pm

The capacitors are Solar transoil capacitors rated at 600v 0.1mfd. I see no codes. I'm new to tubes so I dont know which is the filament. I've found data sheets for the tubes but i'm confused on which pins do what. Thanks for the reply and link.
dudegibbs

Postby EWBrown » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:17 pm

6C5s are low mu triodes, roughly similar to 6J5, the 6N7 is a dual "class B" power triode, but it can be run Class A, mu about 35.

I'd SWAG, some form of audio oscillator (???) :/ Definitely needs an external power supply...

/ed B
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby snitch56 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:42 pm

This looks like old prototype/lab equipment found in the dumpster of a university. It could be anything, such as part of a ultrasonic testing amp or part of a phase-sensitive detector. Get the tubes tested and let us know the results. My guess is they are probably toast as once lab equipment is turned on it is generally not turned off until the day it's disposed of.

Brad
snitch56

Return to tube 101