Hickok tube tester parts and service!

ask your general tube related questions here

Hickok tube tester parts and service!

Postby hilldweller » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:47 am

I found a place in town that is/was an authorized Hickok service and parts center as well as Simpson products here in St. Louis. Mo
They can repair, calibrate and certify any Hickok tube tester or any Simpson , & Fluke meters.

http://www.scherrerinstruments.com/index.html
P.S. A real patriotic American!
Analog is Real! Experience it!
Digital leads to trans humanism. Not good.
hilldweller
KT88

Re: Hickok tube tester parts and service!

Postby AmadeusMozart » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:36 pm

The following is my personal opinion - I 'm disclosing that I have repaired tube testers, have build one and now am building a pre-amp tube matcher.

Tube testers get silly prices these days, perhaps because they are not well understood. For hobby work it is hardly ever needed, indeed the original purpose was for a service technician to quickly determine if a tube was working or not. Some of the better tube testers are still not laboratory grade which is required if one wants to match tubes. Power tubes have to be tested after they have been heated up for a while at voltages for the expected application. How many tube testers are around that will allow you to set the voltages that your amplifier is going to work at?

Pre-amp dual triodes, especially when they are the first tube in the amp should have sections that are matched, especially in amplifiers that have no feedback. Hence that I am making my own matcher (note not a tester which includes testing for shorts) - a simple setup is sufficient: filament supply, an adjustable negative grid supply, an adjustable anode supply, three digital voltmeters: one for the grid, one for the plate voltage and one for the current. Total cost is around 100 USD which is less than is often paid for just servicing that old tube tester.

Go out and make your own if you need one!
AmadeusMozart

Re: Hickok tube tester parts and service!

Postby Geek » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:15 pm

AmadeusMozart wrote:Go out and make your own if you need one!

I did (A DC grid-shift tester, too) :))

At the time, even cheapie emissions-only testers were going over $300 =:o
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Return to tube 101