Any Tube Designers Out There: Money For You

ask your general tube related questions here

Any Tube Designers Out There: Money For You

Postby eddiegnz1 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:32 pm

This goes out to those of you that are experts at designing tube amps and building your own design from scratch. I'm talking about, you've built an amplifier that no one else in the world owns because you designed it starting from a blank sheet of paper. And it sounds freaking amazing like a $10,000 tube amp, yet you spent less than $1,500. You're knowledge & experience is worth cash....trust me.

My expertise is obviously not in designing tube amps but I am an expert at marketing and business strategies etc. So I'm offering you a valuable free business consultation right here right now. Disclaimer: every word I write here is just an opinion even if stated as if it were fact (it's still just my opinion)

There is a book waiting to be written by you that will sell enough copies to replace your current income and then some. The reason everyone recommends those two Morgan Jones books is because there are no close competitors (i.e. there's nothing better out there for extreme beginners). Both of the most recommended Morgan Jones books are very valuable to those at a certain beginner/novice level. And are probably well written for beginners at a certain level. However, there is a much larger audience at a level even below that....an even lower level of beginnerness if you would.

I have read roughly the first twenty five percent of each of his two highly recommended books and then I skipped around a few other sections through the rest of the book to see if it ever addressed questions at my level. His two books have little to no value for those at my level and a major void exists in this market. I understood very little of what he was writing...certainly not enough to gain any level of confidence in building anything. In fact, I'm rather discouraged after reading his books.

I don't want to buy a kit. I want to design my own tube amp. I'm willing to start with a kit if I have to but I've read enough now to realize that if a new book were property written for those at my level, then I wouldn't have to rely on a kit. I'm not trying to earn an electrical engineering degree. I want only enough knowledge to design and build my own Hi Fi tube amp from scratch (as in 40 to 60 watts per channel push pull with two KT88's per channel and transformers that are perfectly capable of feeding that amp). With the right prerequisite book, this would be very achievable for me...but with the currently available books it's impossible for those at my level (or should I say, it's impossible without a kit...I'm certain I can follow instructions for a kit)

You might start to wonder whether or not I have a learning disability or whether or not I'm of below average IQ (or possibly even stupid). So I'm not saying the following to brag but rather to help you realize that indeed there's money being left on the table right now as this wonderful hobby begins yet another growth phase. Now is the time. Begin writing and I will be the first to buy your book and many others will follow because I won't stop raving about your book in every corner of the internet. I will personally help you market the book. Over a decade ago I earned a 3.94 GPA in the most complex undergraduate degree in the college of business at USF (Finance). I got A's in Calculus, Chemistry, Stats 1 & 2, Price theory, Finance, Economics, Marketing, you name it...and I went on to get my MBA with emphasis on MIS and marketing. I've built and programmed computers etcetera. I have mastered other complex hobbies and have won fireworks competitions at the 2nd largest pyrotechnics guild in the nation (I built every single piece of the fireworks device including the parts requiring knowledge of chemistry).
Due to well written books, I can now manufacture from scratch fireworks better than some that you've seen at Disney world. I won four games in the world open chess tournament in 1993. Please don't think i'm trying to brag here but I just want you to believe me when I tell you that it's not because i'm too dumb or stupid. Those books are not for extreme beginners. I have not found one book yet that is for true beginners for designing tube amps.

Valve Amplifiers by Morgan Jones 1998
&
Building Valve Amplifiers by Morgan Jones 2004
&
Tube Circuits For Audio Amplifiers by Mullard 1993
&
Beginner's Guide To Tube Audio Design by Bruce Rozenblit 2001

I bought the above four books and then I checked out seven other electronics books from the library but the above four books are still useless for me. I am not saying they are bad books nor anything negative about them because I must assume that they are great books based on all the recommendations. I'm just saying that there is a large category of extreme beginners that will find those books useless until the prerequisite books are written. The above four books assume a certain level of understanding of prerequisite fundamentals. I'm not talking about fundamentals of electronics...rather fundamentals of tube amps.

Your new book should be written as a prerequisite to the above four books. Begin with an orientation (one to three chapters) that walks the extreme beginner through the various parts of the amplifier with photos of each section. The orientation should be in chronological order of events from the RCA jacks to the speaker terminals (and from the power plug in the wall to the speaker terminals) etcetera. This orientation section of your book should not include a comprehensive explanation on microfarads, rather just an overview to get oriented (not one single formula in the first three chapters). Below I will pretend that I know about designing tube amps so bear with me because the following example is only an effort to explain what I mean.
>>
The audio signal enters the amplifier through XYZ and the first thing that happens to the signal is ABC. The parts in section G2 of the photograph above consists of XYZ and those are the parts that do ABC to the signal in this first part of the signal path. The reason the audio signal must first be manipulated in this way is because of XYZ....After that, the signal exists out of this first part of the amplifier and the second place it enters into is section G3 of the above photograph. This second part in the signal path does XYZ to the signal blah blah blah....
The electrical power enters the amplifier from the wire plugged into the wall through XYZ and the first thing that happens to the power is that it gets converted to X voltage by the transformer which is part ABC in section B5 of the the following photo..etcetera
>>
So that little excerpt above is not perfect nor anatomically correct but it's an effort to try to communicate what I feel is lacking before millions of do it yourselfers like me can have any success in this wonderful hobby.
If you've read this far then maybe you're a great tube amp designer but maybe you don't feel strongly about your marketing skills...lets partner up and we'll make some money. I can guarantee you that no other book will be as highly recommended as yours if you let me proof read it and help you edit it for making it understandable to the millions of extreme beginners like me. I'm a bona fide do it yourselfer, so I know that the right book will get me there. I don't mean that one book alone will suffice. But it only takes one book to get me from where I am today to the point where I can understand the above four books. I can learn nothing from the above four books without reading your book first.

Since I have mastered other complex things in the past, I am rather confident that if the right book is written, I will design and build my own tube amp from scratch. The other complex things that I was able to master had adequate texts available for extreme beginners to get started. This awesome tube amplifier hobby is lacking at least one or two prerequisite books. There are several styles of learning out there but I know that I am not the only person that learns the way that I do. There are hundreds of millions of others that learn much the same way that I do.

I feel that Morgan Jones has the knowledge and experience to write this prerequisite book but perhaps he lacks the writing skills required to satisfy the extreme beginner....or maybe he just needs to let me proof and edit his next book.

Lets make some money !
Eddie
eddiegnz1

Re: Any Tube Designers Out There: Money For You

Postby Geek » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:22 am

-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Postby Shannon Parks » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:01 am

Eddie, please just watch the cross-posts in the future. Many thanks in advance.

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby eddiegnz1 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:59 pm

The following excerpt is an example of the type of text I'm seeking. If you know of any text (articles, magazines, website, books, anything) that has an orientation like the following, please let me know. The writing style and format and also the over simplified nature of the following is what I need right now. But I need just a little more, like maybe two more pages (but no formulas, yet). Like dive just a little bit deeper into each "Stage" and a little more about the relationships between all the stages...and some key notable things about each stage. Not every detail nor every important thing, just some highlights as follows.
The signal (AC) containing your "music" enters through an input jack, usually in home audio what is known as an RCA jack (the RCA company developed it as a cheap connector), then it goes through several stages whose sole purpose is to take the amplitude of said signal from about 1v p-p max at the input to an amplitude suitable for moving the cone (assuming a cone speaker for this example) in and out enough to produce the requisite SPL output.

There is only one problem, the speaker runs on power (V * I ) not just voltage. So there must be in the final stage an increase in current commensurate with the increase in voltage in order to run the *load*.

So, the final stage can be one with either both voltage and current gain, or one with only current gain (also known as a "follower").

The power supply consists of a means of changing the line (mains) AC voltage to required values, then changing them to DC (rectification) and then filtering out the remaining AC component, finally delivering them the active stage of the amplifier.

the above excerpt between the lines was found on the internet in a forum and it's the best match for my style of learning. Now this is just for step one, I realize that I'll need to take step two, three and so forth with increasing complexity and that's perfectly fine but only after I get past the first step.

and thanks so much to administrators of www.diytube.com for allowing me an exception in my effort to reach out to a wider audience.

kind thanks,
Eddie
eddiegnz1

Postby nyazzip » Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:20 am

i found this, in conjunction with the schematic, very helpful http://www.rh-tech.org/public/S2/docs/vj_kit_inst.pdf, though it is specific to one amplifier. the explanations are great for beginners, and generally apply to all amp circuits. scroll down to page 3 and beyond.
nyazzip
KT88

Return to tube 101