Basic Audio Tube collection List

ask your general tube related questions here

Basic Audio Tube collection List

Postby Proschuno » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:34 pm

So I already have a bunch of tubes, most of them designed for audio use, but I have plans to obviously extend my collection; I'm wanting to know if there is a basic list of audio tubes that I should have to experiment with, so If someone could post a list or a link to a list that would be appreciated; I'm already googling myself, I just would like some extra help. I already know the obvious stuff like 12au7, 12ax7, 6sn7, el34, kt88, etc. I don't care of price or rarity either, I'll buy it or find it.
Proschuno

Re: Basic Audio Tube collection List

Postby 20to20 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:00 am

Proschuno wrote:So I already have a bunch of tubes, most of them designed for audio use, but I have plans to obviously extend my collection; I'm wanting to know if there is a basic list of audio tubes that I should have to experiment with, so If someone could post a list or a link to a list that would be appreciated; I'm already googling myself, I just would like some extra help. I already know the obvious stuff like 12au7, 12ax7, 6sn7, el34, kt88, etc. I don't care of price or rarity either, I'll buy it or find it.

How far back in time do you want to go? You would have to include antique radio tubes...
Headed for Tishomingo to sing in a can...
20to20
KT88

Postby Geek » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:09 am

Don't discount TV tubes, like vertical deflection triodes/pentodes, video output tubes and sharp-cutoff I.F. tubes. They are quite linear and have great to insane transconductance ;)
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Postby ruffrecords » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:50 pm

Look for the ECC88/6DJ8/6922 twin triode. Very good for audio. Also try the 6CG7/6FQ7 which is a B9A version of the 6SN7. If you are going to use the 12AX7 then go for the LPS version. Also check out the ECC99 - good for tube headphone amps.

Cheers

Ian
ruffrecords

Postby Impmon » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:47 pm

There are so many:

Small Signal:

Triodes:

6J5 (metal singleton) 7193 (glass singleton) -- identical characteristics, though the 7193 is the VHF version that has two top caps for the plate and grid connections. Octals

6SL7 (glass) high gain dual SS triodes, especially linear type with somewhat lower gain and rp than12AX7

6SC7 (metal) like the 6SL7, but with internally connected cathodes for LTP service

6GK5 (glass) nine pin mini designed for VHF/UHF duty, works well as audio SS amp.

6EU7 (glass) dual like a 12AX7, but designed for lower output noise for low level work.

6BQ7A (glass) nine pin mini dual intended for cascode VHF amp. works quite well as audio cascode in LTP configuration. Most linear if Vpk is above 120Vdc or so.

6C4 -- Singleton, seven pin mini: works best as cathode follower/cathodyne phase splitter.

SS Pents

6AU6 -- Reliable workhorse that does just about everything right: CCS duty, AF/RF/IF amp duty. Makes excellent psuedotriode with u-Factor falling nicely between the 6SN7 and 12AT7.

6SJ7 -- Like the 6AU6, though usually metal with Octal base.

6CB6 -- SS pentode designed for the 45MHz IF of TV sets. Has pretty decent audio linearity, though not the best in this regard.

12BY7A -- Video/wideband type: likes higher currents and higher than usual supply voltages (not a prob with color TV curcuits). If done right, can swing pretty stiff output voltages with pretty decent linearity.

6BR7 -- Low noise audio amp.

Large Signal:

6AQ5 -- Seven pin mini version of 6V6.

807/1625/6BG6 -- The 6L6-oids. These work with excellent sonic performance, but require local NFB to tame the tendency to make higher order harmonics.

1624 -- DH beamer that can work quite well if taken into Class AB2 with source follower grid drivers.

814 -- DH beamer that can put out north of 100W if taken into Class AB2. Does need higher than normal plate voltage.

6BQ6GA/GTB -- TV HD type: gives excellent sonic performance as PP Class AB1 audio final.

6AV5 -- See above, but not quite so much output.

All these HD types are capable audio finals. The bigger ones intended for wide screen color TV use can pump out 100+ watts of audio power.

6LR8 -- TV vertical deflection type for color TVs. Has small signal triode and beamer in same bottle. Use triodes for grid drivers. Good to some 30W of output.

Large Signal Triodes

6CK4 -- Singleton, Octal -- vertical deflection type. Works best as PP audio final.

6BX7 -- Matched dual, vertical deflection type. Makes good PP amp/driver.

811A/812A -- DHT xmtr finals: require Class A*2 operation, positive grid bias, source follower grid drivers.

6DR7 -- Dissimilar dual triode, vertical deflection type. SS triode has high gain and good linearity. Large signal type capable of wide voltage swings with good linearity. Would make good IST coupled driver.
Live Free or Die: Linux
Impmon

Return to tube 101