Audio use for pentagrids?

ask your general tube related questions here

Audio use for pentagrids?

Postby Proschuno » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:22 am

Okay, I first discovered one of these little guys amongst a bunch of 2$ tubes that I bought from an antique shop (half of them tested badly so don't get to jealous ;) ). But any way I'm currently trying to build a vacuum tube based synthesizer, and I did get it to mix two different signals alright, so I decided to buy more of them.

My question is, is there really any way to use pentagrids with audio? I'll take any and all suggestions, even if they're not synthesizer based, I feel like these tubes would prove quite interesting in projects to come.
Proschuno

Re: Audio use for pentagrids?

Postby Geek » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:23 pm

Most pentagrids are for radio mixers and very non-linear (if they were linear, they wouldn'r mix!). But some are quite linear and used in pro audio compression/decompression and gating.

Some fun facts to remember with these:
- The more grids, the more noise. Don't expect them to be quiet. Line level and higher.
- Sound reproduction - look for max linearity.
- Sound generation (as in a synth), anything goes! [:)

Have fun!
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Postby EWBrown » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:21 pm

As a good friend of mine once said, no tube is totally useless, the filament can always be used as a fuse ;) (lol) :)) :P

/ed B
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby azazello » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:48 am

You can build an ampl. with more inputs - CD, receiver, magnetic tape, RIAA....I have schematic somewhere EL12 & ECH...
Projects: OTL 6AS7 Gen, Electric, SEs 2A3 RCA, 300B JJ, 6S4S, 4P1L, EL11 Telefunken, 6AS7 RCA, 6S33S, 6S41S, 6S19P, headphone ampl. OTL Loftin White 6AS7 RCA....SE E84L&E80CC Siemens&Tel-n.
azazello
KT88

Return to tube 101