Variable High Voltage Supply for Experiments; How many Amps?

ask your general tube related questions here

Variable High Voltage Supply for Experiments; How many Amps?

Postby Proschuno » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:38 am

So basically I am trying to make a 0-1000 Volt power supply for my various experiments, so I can experiment with ANY tube I come across, including the very big ones. I would be dealing with mostly audio amplifier circuits, so nothing to big I imagine, but the problem is the transformers i'm using can supply the voltage, and more current than necessary, which would be quite unsafe, so what is the lowest value of fuse I should select for the high voltage range, that would both allow me to experiment and be "safe"?

notice the word 'safe' is in quotations; I know what I am getting into here ;) And I also plan on using a lower rated fuse for anything below maybe say 500-600 volts, which knowing a good value for that range would also be appreciated too.

And also, I plan on having two separate voltage sources in this power supply, one for biasing and the other for the 1000 volt supply; how high would the biasing voltage be allowed to go?
I'm trying to have a general purpose tube power supply, so I can play with almost any circuit from the above mentioned details.
Proschuno

Re: Variable High Voltage Supply for Experiments; How many A

Postby soundbrigade » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:42 pm

A general answer would be to have a look at typical (output) tubes that runs at 250V, 350V, 500V ... 1000V and check required or recommended currents.
Bruce Rozenblit has two settings in his Test Bench PSU, described in his book Tube Audio Design: 150V - 300V and 300V - 500V. Currents are also set in ranges 3mA, 15mA, 30mA and 150mA. He also has adjustbale bias voltage down to -90V.
Guess that's a start.
Magnus

"It is always more difficult to fight against faith than against knowledge."
soundbrigade
KT88

Return to tube 101