Tube Amp Junior Idea

ask your general tube related questions here

Tube Amp Junior Idea

Postby kt88pppamp » Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:40 pm

If any of you have young children, what do you think of the idea of junior tube amp for the kid's room? I have a rough design for one.

It features:

- Durable white painted wooden chassis with metal back and cover with childish decorations (Fisher Price type look and lettering).

- 1/8th" high impedance microphone input for "singing along" with large volume dial.

- Line input for any source with volume dial.

- Two small speakers built into the cabinet.

- Switch to disable the microphone input or line inputs.

The design uses two 6V6 tubes per channel, my universal driver circuit (dual 12AU7 and single 12AX7). The mic stage will use a single 12AX7 feeding both channels. The line stage will use a single 12AU7, each half feeding each channel. Feedback sets the gain for the power amplifier to compensate for the preamp sensitivity. The rectifier will use solid state diodes.

Tube count:

- 2x 12AX7
- 3x 12AU7
- 4x 6V6

To keep it kid friendly, I am trying to use tubes that keep the heat output low. If reducing the tube count really makes the amps cheaper, I could make the output stage class A. Then transformer costs increases. What do you think of this idea? What would you all do differently?
-Ice cream is irresistible.

-Spaghetti and salt is irinductable.

-Artichokes are ircapacitable.
kt88pppamp
KT88

Re: Tube Amp Junior Idea

Postby Geek » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:27 pm

Hmmm, little "Johnny or Susie" with 15W of tube power? Mom and dad might hate you! (lol)

What about SE?
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Postby DeathRex » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:27 am

Ja, you can use a schematic from a German radio, and add a 12AX7 for the microphone. Or it'd probably be cheaper to get a stereo German radio. Should be able to find one on ebay for under $100.
At first I wanted to be a ET. Now I are one.
DeathRex
KT88

Postby EWBrown » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:46 pm

I'd go with 6V6 / 6AQ5 or EL84 SE, for 5W use pentode mode, for lower power use UL or triode-strapped mode. Perhaps internally selectable.
B+ 250 to 300VDC, keep the plate / cathode current "reasonable" to reduce the plate dissipation and "blisteringly hot tubes".
The Edcor 5K to 8 ohms would be a very good match for the 6V6s. 10-15 WPC could be a bit too much excessive power for the l'il' kiddies... [:)

About ten or so years ago, Gary Kaufman built up a small 6S4A SET for his daughter, and used what he referred to as "bass shy" OPTs,
He ran them at 250V B+ and 5K OPT and 500 ohm RK which is pretty light duty for these tubes (and used a 6N1P SRPP driver stage).

My favorite operating points use 325V B+, with a 390-400 ohm RK (for approx. 25 mA plate current) and with the tube's relatively high plate
resistance of 3700 ohms, I'd use a 10-12 K primary OPT, or run them in PSE with 5 to 6K OPT. Even with PSE, the 6S4As aren't exactly going to
"rock the house".

6S4As are a very nice sounding low priced power triode. 6CG7 or 12AU7 SRPP driver is a good match, as the 6S4A cathodes operate about 9.8 to 10V
above signal / power ground. use a 12AX7 / ECC83 for any necessary high gain front-end purposes.

/ed B
Real Radios Glow in the Dark
EWBrown
Insulator & Iron Magnate

Postby soundbrigade » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:46 pm

Get tube shields for the tubes. And while building the amp, give your kids a crash course in tubelectrics! [:)

Magnus

"It is always more difficult to fight against faith than against knowledge."
soundbrigade
KT88

Postby DeathRex » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:50 am

How about using battery portable tubes like the 3V4 or 3S4. They put out very little heat, run on low voltage 67-90VDC, warm up in about a second, and put out very little power. In SE, a 3V4 puts out about 1/4 watt, about that same as a 171A at 90 volts, but with a cheaper tube. I guess maybe 1 to 2 watts in PP.
http://ampbooks.com/home/amp-technology ... ry-amp.gif
At first I wanted to be a ET. Now I are one.
DeathRex
KT88

Postby azazello » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:39 pm

Kids like high power sounding..... (lol)
Projects: OTL 6AS7 Gen, Electric, SEs 2A3 RCA, 300B JJ, 6S4S, 4P1L, EL11 Telefunken, 6AS7 RCA, 6S33S, 6S41S, 6S19P, headphone ampl. OTL Loftin White 6AS7 RCA....SE E84L&E80CC Siemens&Tel-n.
azazello
KT88

Postby kt88pppamp » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:35 pm

I agree that adolescent males in particular like their earth shaking bass and rap music (666). Daddy should make him work and save up money so he can buy my PPP amps that in the future I will be selling as kits. Two blocks I anticipate having to sell will cost 3-4 grand (for a pair) for a decent profit margin. Junior gangsta should also be made to put them together as well and learn some soldering skills ;).

You all are probably right that 6 or 7 year old with small speakers and 15 watts would be way too loud.

The way to go would probably be to use a SE 6V6 which will probably make about 5 watts. Into 3" full range drivers, small SE transformers should not cost too much money.

Daddy had better not buy gangsta a car which he may end up totaling, or spend the 4k on class d car subwoofers that piss of the people in the old folks home!
-Ice cream is irresistible.

-Spaghetti and salt is irinductable.

-Artichokes are ircapacitable.
kt88pppamp
KT88

Postby Hotsauce » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:01 pm

Build a small 2 channel guitar amp.

It'll be useful for so many things later.

John
Hotsauce

Postby Shannon Parks » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:55 am

Hotsauce wrote:Build a small 2 channel guitar amp.

It'll be useful for so many things later.

John

This is a brilliant idea.

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby Hotsauce » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:54 pm

If you have more than one gain stage, and knob for each you can play music or voice cleanly, but still crank it up to overdrive for when Dad wants to get loud.

I would use speakers that can not be blown with the power the amp can make. Maybe a pair of EV 12's

I seriously think just a few watts and 2 12's will make you glad it isn't 30W

A stereo 1/8 input, 2 rca ins, and 2 1/4 mono input jacks.

Build it as a combo and at least partially enclose the back so no one can reach the tubes without removing a panel

Something like a Vox AC10 cabinet.

John
Hotsauce

Return to tube 101