Power Line Noise

ask your general tube related questions here

Power Line Noise

Postby kt88pppamp » Thu May 09, 2013 11:09 pm

I am having issues both with an analog and microprocessor based circuit where power line noise causes a microprocessor to reset. The same noise causes popping in my tube amp speakers.

The popping comes from the switching of large inductive loads (motors, fluorescent light ballasts, arcing, etc) that kick noise back into the line. The switching regulator (off of a transformer secondary) for the processor does not stop the noise nor does the pi filter in my tube amp work. I have tried inductor/capacitor combinations, metal oxide varistors, and even a voltage suppressor diode in an attempt to filter the noise. None seems to help. The noise when displayed on my scope is arbitrary in amplitude, frequency, and duration. Any ideas on how to stop this? I am not experienced in designing filters to combat such problems.
-Ice cream is irresistible.

-Spaghetti and salt is irinductable.

-Artichokes are ircapacitable.
kt88pppamp
KT88

Re: Power Line Noise

Postby kheper » Thu May 09, 2013 11:23 pm

kt88pppamp wrote:I have tried inductor/capacitor combinations, metal oxide varistors, and even a voltage suppressor diode in an attempt to filter the noise. None seems to help. The noise when displayed on my scope is arbitrary in amplitude, frequency, and duration. Any ideas on how to stop this? I am not experienced in designing filters to combat such problems.

Simple, AC line filter schematics:

http://links.dalrun.com/Electronics/Doc ... presor.htm

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze22yzp/id11.html
kheper
KT88

Postby battradio » Fri May 10, 2013 12:11 am

You may need filters on all wiring coming into the microprocessor , the noise could even be induced inside the of the processor mother board and would need an all metal case for it .
Mark
battradio
KT88

Postby Geek » Fri May 10, 2013 4:58 am

Hmmm, give those a try, but it may be more complex than that....

"...switching of large inductive loads..."

A buddy has a place where his line voltage would dive to ~60-65V for a split second as some halogen lights were turned on. The only cure are supplies with stupidly good regulators (like advanced computer SMPS) or in the case of unregged, BIG reservoir caps.
-= Gregg =-
Fine wine comes in glass bottles, not plastic sacks. Therefore the finer electrons are also found in glass bottles.
Geek
KT88

Postby WA4SWJ » Fri May 10, 2013 5:18 am

Not sure what processor you're using, but something else you may think about is the reset line or MCLR line if it is a PIC processor. Perhaps a small capacitor to ground on that line can help. You might be getting reset commands into that line that a capacitor would help prevent. 0.1uF should be enough if that turns out to be the problem. As for the noise getting into the amps the other guys have good suggestions.

Best of luck solving the problem!
Ed Long
WA4SWJ
KT88

Return to tube 101