Transformer orientation?

ask your general tube related questions here

Transformer orientation?

Postby Blair » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:50 am

I'm trying to save a little face here and redirect an old chassis. Since this is a choke input supply, does it matter if the cores are parallel on the transformer and the choke? I'd hate to toss this amount of work:( I'm actually not even sure what the core orientation is on the WE transformer, but if I had to guess, it's the same as the choke in front of it.

Thanks!

Blair
Blair
KT88

Re: Transformer orientation?

Postby DeathRex » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:18 am

In a LC power supply, the choke has a lot more ripple and will put out more EMF than a CLC. One amp I built, I was deciding between a CLC and a LC. When I tried out the LC the steel bottom cover would rattle. (sick) But there wouldn't be any problem with the choke and power transformer(s) being aligned, except if you have some serious power, like a fusion reactor that you need some additional arms attached to your spinal column to make adjustments.
At first I wanted to be a ET. Now I are one.
DeathRex
KT88

Postby Blair » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:23 am

Thanks!

That choke ain't gonna rattle. It's a beast! I'm just glad I can save the chassis without cutting a new top plate!

I hate punching holes in 1/16" aluminum. It gums up the threads on my punch.
Blair
KT88

Postby battradio » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:49 am

I know how big those two chokes are , and that WE transformer makes them look small , With the WE potted don't worry about the orientation of the choke to the power transformer , worry about the orientation to the Sowter , and will the Sowter cover the holes the two Bogens were going to fill .
Mark
battradio
KT88

Postby Blair » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:57 am

I was thinking the same thing! Those WE power transformers are much larger that they looked sitting on the shelf! I plan to cover the big holes from the Nogens with a 16ga steel plate to salvage my mess.

There is some room up front there for an additional set of power tube holes for the KT88s. I need to settle on a driver tube arrangement. As you can see, there are three holes there. I was going to use a classics Williamson front end.
Blair
KT88

Postby Blair » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:33 pm

OK,

These are the largest output transformers I have seen. The 1650W is big, but these are huge!

I think I will plate off my holes with steel and go with this arrangement.

Blair
Blair
KT88

Postby battradio » Wed May 01, 2013 12:55 pm

Hi Blair ,
Could you reverse the positions of the Sowter and the Western Electric power transformer , and cover more of the hole .
Mark
battradio
KT88

Postby Blair » Wed May 01, 2013 7:43 pm

Hi Mark,

I may be able to, but I drill quite a few small holes for the original design, so I may as well just plate it off. Maybe even with another piece of aluminum .25" or so for better support.

Blair
Blair
KT88

Postby Blair » Thu May 02, 2013 5:39 pm

How about this?

It is not optimal because the laminates line up with the WE transformer (if I'm even right about how it's in there), but it allows for several inches of space between them. Also give more plate area for additional tubes.

With a choke input, how much capacitance can I toss on without any issues? It's a 10H choke, so I'm pretty sure the ripple will be low already.

The little choke up front is a 7H for the driver tube supply.

Thanks!

Blair
Blair
KT88

Postby Shannon Parks » Thu May 02, 2013 7:48 pm

Looks fine to me. (y)

Shannon
Shannon Parks
Site Admin

Postby Blair » Thu May 02, 2013 8:51 pm

Thanks Shannon!

This is gonna be a fun build:)
Blair
KT88

Postby kheper » Sat May 04, 2013 6:23 am

Blair wrote:With a choke input, how much capacitance can I toss on without any issues? It's a 10H choke, so I'm pretty sure the ripple will be low already.

Here is an equation for the minimum power supply capacitance:
http://tubes.nekhbet.com/power.shtml#fil

The minimum should be plenty. When you start adding gobs of capacitance, it becomes a matter of diminishing positive returns (reducing ripple, increasing transient response, etc.) and negative consequences can crop up.
kheper
KT88

Postby Blair » Sat May 04, 2013 6:47 am

Thank you!

I bookmarked that homepage since this is not the first time you have used it to answer my questions.

This one is a bit odd because it has nothing to do with circuit design, but laminate stacks. The Sowters have a set of laminates that are staggered from the rest of the stack. If I pull the hardware. Can I clamp them straight and then tighten them down assuming they are not too stuck together from the varnish?

Do I chance damaging anything if I go slow?

Thanks!

Blair
Blair
KT88

Postby battradio » Sat May 04, 2013 2:10 pm

If both are identicle I would leave them alone , they may have been made like that . With your metal working skill I would pot them if you don't like the looks .
Mark
battradio
KT88

Postby Blair » Sat May 04, 2013 8:17 pm

I will look into it. I found out that Landfall systems is just down the road from me today, so I might have them machine one for me.
Blair
KT88

Next

Return to tube 101